carb hose routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb hose routing

Ok, so I got a stock exhaust system installed, now with the freshly cleaned carbs installed, my float bowl drain hoses look like they will be too close to the right side pipes. Wouldn't want to have fuel dripping on hot exhausts so I am seeking suggestions for a remedy.

Also am curious as to the 2 vent hoses and what they actually do. I have them running along the top side of the air box and will secure them to the frame with zip ties.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Larry
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

The best remedy is to have carbs that don't leak and send gas down the hoses.

Next best would be to route the hoses so they don't dump anything on the hot pipes.

As air goes through the venturis in the carbs, it goes faster, so pressure drops, which is what pulls gas out of the bowls. Well, actually, gas is pushed into the venturis by the normal atmospheric pressure that is in the float bowls. The vent hoses are what provide that reference.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The vents routed by the stock airbox are alright. Maybe the drain hoses aren't routed correctly as from the factory? On the back of the upper engine case there is a slot or hole in the casting that they route through. It located just behind the rear engine mount bolt and in about 2" - 2 1/2" inboard from the clutch cover gasket surface IIRC.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
      X