Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can GSXR 4-2 exhaust fit on an 80 GS850G, in place of bad oem GS 4-2 exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can GSXR 4-2 exhaust fit on an 80 GS850G, in place of bad oem GS 4-2 exhaust?

My question is can a given year GSXR 4 into 2 exhaust fit on an 80 GS850G....to take the place of the oem GS 4 into 2 exhaust? My chrome mufflers were scourered by the PO so badly that there's very little shine left to them.....black high temp paint is an option as well as trying to hunt down a nice shape oem chrome set up. As a side note- I would like to keep my center stand which I hope I could do if such a swap was do-able.
    Anyone ever try this? I forum seached and saw nothing so I'm asking here.

I don't think the GSXR (excepting the Hayabusa) was ever made with a 4 into 2. Aside from this, the GSXR line was oil cooled whereas the GS line was air cooled. I'd be very surprised if the bore spacing were the same.

Comment

Bore spacing was what I was primarily worried about...drop length was next. I though the early ones{600s} were twin mufflers....

Comment

I'm sorry...."GSX" type....here's an ebay auction I was spying-

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
          I'm sorry...."GSX" type....here's an ebay auction I was spying-
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/400796589780...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
          The later Katanas (GSX) are based off the oil cooled motors, so again it is unlikely that the exhaust port spacing will be the same as the GS line. Also if you look up the exhaust port gaskets for the 850G you will see that they are not the same as any of the GSX models, so it is likely the port diameters are different.

Comment

That pipe in the auction is for a 600. I really doubt that it would fit the height (and width) of an 850.

Have you looked into powder coating? Actually, CERAMIC coating, but it looks pretty good.

My son's 850L has a header that has been ceramic coated, the muffler is still the stock chrome. Click the link in my sig to see his bike.

My 850 has the same setup. The pic in my sig is with the stock pipes, so here is a current picture:

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X