GS550 no gas in #2 carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 no gas in #2 carb

As the title says, my number 2 carb is empty, other 3 cylinders are fine.

Just put the Dyna ignition on from Z1, got spark on all 4 cylinders, and thought it was all done!

Come to find out I have a second problem.

Anyone know why that one carb would be empty?

Float is stuck up, so no fuel can dribble in. Try lightly tapping on bowl.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Usually when they stick, they stick down from sitting forever.
      Are you talking about the float bowls are empty? Are these VM carbs or CV carbs? Either way, either somethings clogged or something isn't set right, perhaps something is stuck? Floats can stick on gaskets if they don't fit right. Could be most anything but it's easier to see from inside than it is to guess from here....

It's all completely simple once you take it apart and look.

What have you done inside the carbs? How nasty is the fuel tank?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

They're CV carbs. Had them apart, soaked them, rejetted.

Fuel tank is pretty clean.

Should I take the bowl off while the carbs are still attached and check the float?

I hate taking those damn things on and off.

Comment

I'd take the float bowl off and see if fuel comes and goes when you lift and lower the float. If not, something upstream is clogged. If it does, it's something to do with the float or the needle valve. The screen on the needle valve could be clogged. I have seen a piece of wood the size of a toothpick tip completely blocking the needle valve once. How it got past the screen and the filter in the petcock I can't imagine. I'm guessing the last person in there wasn't too much of a clean freak.

If the float is caught on the gasket it will probably start spewing gas when you pull the bowl down.
          Either way gasoline is going to go all over the place. Don't hurt yourself.

When you had them apart, which gaskets did you use?
          Last edited by tkent02; 02-03-2016, 04:29 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Took the carbs off, and the float off that carb. Seemed like the needle was getting stuck up.

Cleaned it with some brake clean, and put it back together.

Got gas in the bowl, but now its overflowing, I think the float is getting stuck on the gasket.

Still not firing on that cylinder though!

Comment

Working...
            X