No announcement yet.

Painting headers. Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A tip if you're taking the headers off to paint is to cure the paint before you put the pipes back on. Depending on the size of the system you might be able to put it on a BBQ (hooded) or I've also used a butane blowtorch to cure header paint. It makes it easier to handle if the paint is cured.
    Current:
    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by jdvorchak View Post
      Thanks for that. I noticed that VHT makes ceramic header paint good to 2000 deg F. But they even admit that it's not scratch resistant. Still has to look better than what I have. I was thinking that I would just mask off the mufflers and heat shields. They are ok shape now. Just the middle two headers that are beyond cleaning but I'd paint all 4.
      I used it on mine. It will hold up to the heat, but yeah, it does scratch easily.

This is what the paint looks like:

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
      Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Tough as in chip resistant? How long have you used the pipes and do you have any photos?
        Very very chip resistant!
        I will see if I have some photos I can post, I don't have any in my current photo bucket, but I might on my work computer.
        I ended up taking the megaphone and re-welding it to fit onto a different header and had to grind the jet hot coating off so it could be welded, the welder was amazed because he tig'd it and the coating right next to the weld didn't burn off…and it was only a 3/16" away.
        I used the header for 15 yrs no chips, black, but it did fade just a bit. I would wipe it down with WD-40 when I washed the bike to take off road grime ect, no ill affects of that either. The one caveat is I don't put on a lot of miles so maybe 25,000 or so.

Comment

Found this stuff when I was looking for ceramic coaters;
          Eastwood Silver High Temp Coating
          Looks like a little bit more pricey header paint, not sure how tough it is.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

There are some high temp powder coating powders, I bought some to use on a pipe but I haven't actually used it yet.
            I think it comes in several colors and levels of gloss.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

There are some high temp powder coating powders, I bought some to use on a pipe but I haven't actually used it yet.
              I think it comes in several colors and levels of gloss.

There are also ceramic coatings you do yourself, shoot it on like paint and cure it in the oven at 500 degrees. Haven't tried that yet either.

I have a crappy extra set of pipes for my 450/500, I could try the stuff and see what it looks like.
              Try it on the bike too if it looks OK.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Some of the spray on ceramic coatings I've seen have you sand/blast the surface to remove any remaining rust and scratch up the chrome. They then suggest a primer then the final coats of paint, both their products. Once that is dry you reassemble the exhaust to the engine and run it for 10 min to cure the paint. Once it cools from that it is ready to go. I think that is the same thing as putting it in an oven.

All of that being said I used high temp BBQ grill paint on my 84 GL1200 about 5 years ago and other than where my left foot rubs it, from shifting, it still looks like the day I painted it. Surface prep I did was only sanding, wipe down with lacquer thinner and paint. Let it dry for over night, not necessary but I had time.

I was looking for a good pic of the exhaust but can't seem to find one. Trust me it still looks good after 5 years.

Comment

Found a couple of not great photos but I think you can see that the BBQ paint held up. Also used it on the timing belt cover at the same time:

Comment

Here is the link to the guys that did my exhaust. Again, it was $227 total and looks awesome. In reviewing the info it seems they use Cerakote Coating. I thought it was powder coat but that was incorrect. It looks great but you gotta be careful to not bang into it very much.

I've put a few hundred miles on the bike now and the coating is still outgassing when it gets hot (it smokes and stinks). Hopefully when it fully cures it will be more resistant to damage. Hope so anyway.
                    Last edited by Nessism; 02-05-2016, 02:39 PM.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                    X