Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sorry for all the separate pics. I'm doing it all from my phone

Comment

that is your ca chain tensioner. Look for you idle adjuster on the filter side of the carbs.
      This is what your adjuster should look like. These are Kawasaki carbs so it is pointing up at and angle. Suzuki carbs point down.

Here is a set from a GS1000
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Rick, this is where it was located on my 550 and GL500 - pointing upwards towards the back, making it easy to reach under there to adjust while riding. I guess then, by default, this would be the idle adjuster?

I just haven't encountered an idle adjuster that looked like this; as I said my other two were positioned on top and with a bit more clear of a "knob." I'm going to feel really stupid if I've been overlooking this the whole time and this is actually it...

Ignore the machine screw used as a drain plug. The PO apparently didn't want to invest in new plugs and I have been weary of pulling that out for fear that it messed up the threads.

Comment

That's the idle adjuster alright!
          -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by mike1414 View Post

Looking in from carb #1
            That tube sticking down at the top of the photo, is that connected to carb sync port? If it is it should be blocked - it's letting air into the circuit.
            -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Yes , that is it, your knob has taken a vacation somewhere else. My 78 1000 is the same way. It was there for a long time then poof, gone. Not really, but I have no idea when it decided to leave home. I was riding it a few months ago and my idle seemed a little on the low side at a traffic stop and when I reached under for it I couldn't feel it. I knew it was there the last time I adjusted it, but like I said, gone. I almost fell over trying to bend down far enough to see where it was.

You may need to use some plyers to turn it. You'll want to turn it counterclockwise to lower the rpms.
              Last edited by gsrick; 06-14-2016, 07:55 AM.
              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by allojohn View Post
                That tube sticking down at the top of the photo, is that connected to carb sync port? If it is it should be blocked - it's letting air into the circuit.
                That's where my 1000 fuel tank petcock vacuum hose is hooked to. Not sure if it is the proper location, but it has done the job for 6 years now.
                GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Good heavens me, I feel dumb haha. I mean, I don't even know how I overlooked that thing so many times. What a fool. I will give it a few twists tomorrow to see what I can figure out.

John that is the tube to which I alluded earlier on in this post - I have been playing around with blocking it and not blocking it, and honestly I haven't been able to come up with a clear way to block it. Any ideas? I haven't found a cap or anything that may be suitable on any auto parts stores, home improvement, etc; Rick I tried connecting my vacuum petcock to that (though the one connected to carb 3 to where my petcock is currently connected) but it was making horrendous popping noises and sputtering. So the way to go is block that it seems and let the other one be my main vacuum petcock line?

BTW, Rick, I absolutely love the signature and couldn't be more in the Gary Johnson boat!

Comment

Originally posted by mike1414 View Post
                    Good heavens me, I feel dumb haha. I mean, I don't even know how I overlooked that thing so many times. What a fool. I will give it a few twists tomorrow to see what I can figure out.

John that is the tube to which I alluded earlier on in this post - I have been playing around with blocking it and not blocking it, and honestly I haven't been able to come up with a clear way to block it. Any ideas? I haven't found a cap or anything that may be suitable on any auto parts stores, home improvement, etc; Rick I tried connecting my vacuum petcock to that (though the one connected to carb 3 to where my petcock is currently connected) but it was making horrendous popping noises and sputtering. So the way to go is block that it seems and let the other one be my main vacuum petcock line?

BTW, Rick, I absolutely love the signature and couldn't be more in the Gary Johnson boat!
                    Your the second member tonight to say something to that effect, maybe we have a movement going here. Spread the word.

That port should unscrew like the other ones. Just get a allen head screw that is the correct size and thread pitch. Whatever one you choose make sure the other one is blocked. You could just cut off a piece of excess vacuum line and put on the spare tube and plug it with a screw or an old golf tee that may be lying around at the side of a golf course.
                    GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Side question here....Rick, are your 1000 carbs VM26SS' and not have pilots fuel screws?
                      -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Mine are stock 26 with both fuel and air screws.
                        GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Spread the word, indeed! Rick, John asks that because (I don't know if you really read through the thread), but mine does not appear to have a pilot screw on my VM26SS's.

On the brighter side, I messed with my air screw and my idle mixture and it's running significantly better! Another kind of "negative" note though, (not that I necessarily expected it to fix this) it still overflow's quite a bit. I have my air screw at 3/4 out and I think that with some fine tuning, I can get the response perfect. Now I just need to worry about the overflow. Typically the overflow is better about 1.5 turns out - but the response wasn't good at 1.5 out after having plugged the downward pointing vacuum tube; 3/4 turn out seems to work the best. Do we have a final verdict on what I should do with my overflow issue, or should I just start over from the bottom and tear apart the carbs/rebuild them?

Comment

That's good news Mike, glad it's getting better for you.
                            On the leaking....I can't believe that silly arse screw the PO put in the bowl drain is holding gas - that has to be leaking.....
                            -Mal

78 GS750E

Comment

Haha surprisingly enough it holds. I feel like it would likely have messed up the threads so I don't want to pull it out, but I guess that I'll have to eventually. The majority of the gas coming out is still through the 4th carb overflow drain hose unfortunately

Comment

take them apart and rebuild the according to the tutorial
                                as for the pilot mixture screws they are there
                                turn the carbs upside down on the engine side of the carbs right in the center and deeply recessed in the hole is the pilot mix screw it may have a little metal cap covering it (most don't but you never know)
                                Last edited by Guest; 06-15-2016, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X