X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM26SS or VM28SS

Hi all,

A new member from across the pond.

I have just acquired a eBay GS1000 1978. The bike has very poor running due to badly maintained carbs. I have stripped them, found two with the rear air metering screw snapped and blocked (the fine needle pointed one) and sourced two additional bodies. Now in theory the original carbs are assumed to be 28's however are they? The additional bodies are of eBay and physically the same size. The markings on the manifold flange are as follows.

Orignal carbs. B853/49C10
    New! carbs. B827/45C30

What have I got?

Thanks, Greg
    Suzuki GS1000 1978
    Honda CB400F 1976

Keep smiling it makes the management nervous.

The only way to tell is to measure the carb outlets. The internal diameter of the carb on the cylinder head side is 28mm (plus a bit) on VM28s and 26mm (plus a bit) on 26s.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks. Mine are 26 plus a bit, so that resolves one question. I'm looking at NRP kits. They are out of stock as far as 26's go are the 28's just a different jet size?
      Suzuki GS1000 1978
      Honda CB400F 1976

Comment

I wouldn't buy carb kits, just the bits you need which in your case just sounds like the airscrew - or do you mean the fuel screw as those are the ones with the very fine tips that get broken? Plus renew all the o rings (google cycle o rings; the guy who runs it is a member here and is top drawer.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Have you seen this information on removing broken pilot fuel screw tips? http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ew_removal.pdf
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for the link Nessism, good reading. While looking for info on the 26/28 identification issue I found an opinion that says the 26 has only the one airscrew on the side whilst the 28 has two! In addition it's the internal size of the hole by the slide valve. The hole is in fact an oval and the 26/28 refers to the area covered by this oval in mm squared. Can anyone give an expert opinion on this. Oh the joys of caburation.

Thanks all
            Suzuki GS1000 1978
            Honda CB400F 1976

Comment

The carbs have come out of the ultrasonic cleaner and I can now read some stamp marks on the manifold/engine side of the carb. They are as follows,

Original carb's B853 49C10
              Replacement carb's B827 45C30 or 45O30

Are their any Mikuni decodes?
              Suzuki GS1000 1978
              Honda CB400F 1976

Comment

Originally posted by Greg65 View Post
                Thanks for the link Nessism, good reading. While looking for info on the 26/28 identification issue I found an opinion that says the 26 has only the one airscrew on the side whilst the 28 has two! In addition it's the internal size of the hole by the slide valve. The hole is in fact an oval and the 26/28 refers to the area covered by this oval in mm squared. Can anyone give an expert opinion on this. Oh the joys of caburation.

Thanks all
                The 26 / 28 spec comes from the diameter of the venture - and that's approximate. That's how Mikuni size their carbs. Both carbs are 'the same' (apart from size) plus the 28s, as fitted to the GS1000, have a different choke activation set up. Both carbs have one airscrew and one fuel screw per carb.

The codes stamped on the bodies are, I believe, to do with the batch run.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Thank you for the wise words.
                  Suzuki GS1000 1978
                  Honda CB400F 1976

Comment

Working...
                  X