Choke cable question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke cable question

Hello members, as some may know from my early postings I saved this 82 GS650 G from the metal salvage yard, currently rebuilding the carbs, just waiting on the new o-rings, etc. I'm also in the process of cleaning up the wire harness and connections and handlebar controls. Now , as far as the carbs go, this bike does not have the choke cable, and I know that most motorcycles have the cable coming from the carbs to the left hand side control , but I do not notice any sign of where it connects to on this bike, so my question is , where does the cable run to from the carb choke slide on carbs ? I know I'll have to order a choke cable since this bike has no choke cable.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2016, 05:38 AM.

I'm not completely familiar with your model, but the standard at that time was to have a choke lever mounted on the underside of the left handlebar switch.

✓access the LEFT HANDLE SWITCH (MODEL Z) schematic✓find Suzuki LEFT HANDLE SWITCH (MODEL Z) spares easily✓OEM parts online available
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Yeah, I'm looking at the left side control and I see no slide knob and see no opening on this control housing of ever having a choke knob, I'm not really familiar with these Suzuki GS motorcycles, I have owned a lot of Yamaha and Honda motorcycles in the past, I got this bike for $50 so I'm just tinkering on it and making it a bobber for sh!@s and giggles

Comment

Originally your left switch looked like this setup... But stuff gets switched around

my 1981 has pull up knob choke thru triple tree area
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

By looking at the diagrams on partzilla.com, I'm wondering if maybe some one has changes out this controller , the one I have looks different and I also just noticed that the clutch safety switch is also missing, guess I have to see what I can find on ebay

Comment

Thank you both for those links, tom203, that's exactly what I thought, I'm going to go back out the shop and see if theirs a hole on the bottom of the control. I think I just going to run a cable from it and make a bracket , I believe I have a bunch of cables that might work.

Comment

What you will be looking for is a rectangular nub on the bottom of the left switch housing. The cable housing fits over that and is held by a screw in the center of the nub.

No need to worry about the clutch "safety" switch. Many (most?) of us disconnect it anyway. Just find the two bullet connectos in the main harness that the switch plugs into, connect them to each other.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ok , I appreciate that info Steve, right now I have the wire harness off the frame, motor is out of the frame to blast it and painting the frame. I just received my new rear shocks, and buying a new seat, handlebars, headlight assembly.

Comment

While this likely won't help you fix your choke situation, here's what I'm doing for the missing choke lever on my 1100e. I offer this information as a resource for members here... sorta a GSResource resource.

I 3D printed a lever. One of the Mesa, AZ libraries has a couple of 3D printers and we can gain access to a couple of software programs to design the stuff we want. I used Mastercam as I have it at home.

You might check to see in you have a Thinkspot or similar resource in you community to be able to make stuff for your projects.

I'll be starting a part time job next week in a machine shop and hope to be able to find some spare time to make a new choke lever assembly out of aluminum.

P1200035.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X