Airbox interchangeability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox interchangeability

Will the air box in the link below fit onto my 1982 gs650? I figured I would ask before I pulled the trigger and wasted my money, it looks like it would do just fine but I'm not for sure my new to me 82 didn't come with an air box and with the pods I had laying around it cuts out at about 4500 rpm unless I turn the choke on, so instead of rejetting and tuning my butt off I'm going stock this is just going to be my daily rider for work this summer. thanks for an help guys!

Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2017, 08:06 AM.

first glance looks ok...I have a 650 too but even so I'm leery of telling you to pull the trigger. I went here to compare part numbers. The ebay one you show has part number 13711-34200...see if you can satisfy yourself further. Oh, and you'll note these 650s have an air filter box behind as well. But sure, I'd try without and make something up with a cut- up car airfilter if the proper one isn't ez for you..
    parts suzuki motorcycle accessories spares replacement aftermarket

Last edited by Gorminrider; 04-18-2017, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JOE91 View Post
      Will the air box in the link below fit onto my 1982 gs650?
      That would depend on the letter that follows the 650 on your bike.

The part number shown in the eBay link is just one digit away from the airbox for the shaft-driven 650s, which are the G, GL and M.

It is a different airbox for the chain-driven E models.

Also curious about the airbox in the auction. The title says it's from an '81, but the description says it's from an '84.

Was not aware that there were '84 650s available.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have a complete air box for a 1982 650g that I'd be willing to sell you. let me know if your interested and I'll dig it out for pictures. The one pictured isn't complete if it is the right one.

edit: The air box shown in the picture is from a 650g as it is the same on I have. I don't know if it will fit a 650gL.
        Last edited by Charlie G; 04-18-2017, 11:04 PM.
        sigpic
        83 GS1100g
        2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

According to Alpha sport G's and L's take the same unit.
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Charlie how much would you want for the complete air box you have I would be interested in it depending on the price I'm running short on the budget right now so I may have to wait. I have the filter box with my bike but no lid and don't have the part to connect to the carbs.

And Steve I believe that mine is the GL model, it is the shaft driven so I know its not the E model and the engine has 650g stamped on it but the side covers only have 650L on them so I'm not entirely positive

The issue with the rpm cutting has been figured out it is only because there was too much airflow going in with what I assume was stock jetting. as a TEMPORARY fix just to see if it would run better I used electrical tape on about half of each pod sealing it up good, and when I took it for a quick spin it ran great there was no lag, sputter, or bogging and it had plenty of power so I think that getting a proper air box will solve all my issue thanks for all the help guys this site hasn't let me down yet!

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
            I have a complete air box for a 1982 650g that I'd be willing to sell you. let me know if your interested and I'll dig it out for pictures. The one pictured isn't complete if it is the right one.

edit: The air box shown in the picture is from a 650g as it is the same on I have. I don't know if it will fit a 650gL.

Comment

Private message sent.

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g

Comment

Working...
              X