Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS850G 1981 with runaway throttle... scary.. whats wrong with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 04colyZQ8 View Post
    Your talking about the hard rubber boots that are molded over aluminum, with oring that goes to the head I used silicone between the flange and head, doubt they are leaking.? they are a nightmare to get on and off the carbs, I put soap , on them and lean into it for all I'm worth!!!!!!!!!!! horrible design. The rubbers between the air box, and carbs are new last year.

I guess I'll pull the carbs off, I have a spare rebuilt set.
    The carbs go in pretty easily if they aren't 37 years old. If they are original, they need replacing even if they aren't falling apart yet.
    Also check to be sure idle doesn't go way up when turning bars all the way to the right, that indicates throttle cable is too tight
    sigpic
    09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
    1983 GS1100e
    82\83 1100e Frankenbike
    1980 GS1260
    Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.
      sigpic
      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
      1983 GS1100e
      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
      1980 GS1260
      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

zip tie??
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ve-valve-shims!
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Ok thanks I'll check out the links later. Full left, full right, is good, no more hanging throttle, it went away after I rebuilt the carbs.

So did the math.. bought bike with 37,442kms shimmed the valves. Had a spill on the freeway and broke the cluster at 42,875kms.I bought a used cluster out of Holland with 46,262kms on it. The bike now has 53,186 kms on it.

So 42875-37442 = 5433kms
          and 53186-46262= 6924kms
          Total = 12,357 kms since the last time the valves were shimmed No wonder she is crying for help.... especially the way I ride it.. the bike always sees 6000rpm shifts, and a lot of 7500-8500rpm shifts, and a decant amount of 9100rpm shifts.

On side not my tires need to be replaced soon they barely have 6500kms on them, and they are only about a year old.

Anyone no the average amount of valve rise. example .05mm per 5000kms ? Just trying to get a sense of what shims to get, My last ones were 2.45-2.65mm I think?

Comment

Well I just pulled the valve cover leaking.. anyway!

Bikes still warm was run 4 hours ago. So I'll recheck tomorrow when cold, but I have clearance, so that can't be the problem?

ex 0.07mm, 0.08mm, 0.07mm, 0.07mm
            shims 2.65x, 2.70, 2.60, 2.55mm

in 0.11mm, 0.11mm, 0.09mm, 0.10mm
            shims 2.54, 2.60x, 2.60, 2.54mm

the record from when I shimmed it last;
            ex 0.06mm, 0.06mm, 0.06mm, 0.06mm
            in 0.08mm, 0.08mm, 0.08mm, 0.08mm

I'm thinking the gaps larger do to it still being warm, it from what I see this bikes pretty healthy, and nothing here should cause a missfire?

Comment

Bad news is plug #2 is stripped the threads are damaged in the head, this could be causing the miss, looks like 14mm plugs? Can I heli coil in place?

Comment

Are you checking the valve clearance by pointing the cam away from the bucket and then slipping in the feeler gauge? Or do you follow the factory service manual of positioning the cams and checking the valves in adjacent pairs?
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Followed clymer instructions, keep rotating the lobes pointing up. Then slip in feeler gauge

Comment

Followed clymer instructions, keep rotating the lobes pointing up. Then slip in feeler gauge
                    That's the incorrect method. It results in more clearance indicating than is actually the case by about .02 mm. Based on your measurements you are good to go on valve clearance regardless though.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

I think I'll order 2.35, 2.40, 2.45, 2.50, times 8? That should be what I need? For the next 15-20000, kms then likely got to pull the head
                      You must have a LOT more money than most of us. We still have no idea where you are, except you keep talking in Kilometers and that you ordered some parts from Holland, but here in the USA, new OEM shims retail for about $15, but can be found at online suppliers for just over $11. That would be about $90 for each set of eight, and you are talking about four sets for a total of about $360, all based on a "MAYBE"??? As mentioned previously, find out what you have (yes, I have seen subsequent post showing sizes), then order what you need.

Bikes still warm was run 4 hours ago. So I'll recheck tomorrow when cold, but I have clearance, so that can't be the problem? ... I'm thinking the gaps larger do to it still being warm, it from what I see this bikes pretty healthy, ...
                      There is speculation on what the actual clearance is while the bike is at operating temperature, but I don't know if anyone has actually checked for comparison. One of the reasons that the manual says to check the clearances COLD is that it is easily reapeated. If they said to check them "warm", the question would be "HOW warm?". Yes, your WARM clearances show that you do have clearance, but you won't know if it is enough clearance until you check them at the proper temperature.

We keep offering help by telling you what needs to be done and offering links that show you HOW it needs to be done, yet there is continuing resistance.
                      Good luck with your project, let us know if it turns out.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        You must have a LOT more money than most of us. We still have no idea where you are, except you keep talking in Kilometers and that you ordered some parts from Holland, but here in the USA, new OEM shims retail for about $15, but can be found at online suppliers for just over $11. That would be about $90 for each set of eight, and you are talking about four sets for a total of about $360, all based on a "MAYBE"??? As mentioned previously, find out what you have (yes, I have seen subsequent post showing sizes), then order what you need.

There is speculation on what the actual clearance is while the bike is at operating temperature, but I don't know if anyone has actually checked for comparison. One of the reasons that the manual says to check the clearances COLD is that it is easily reapeated. If they said to check them "warm", the question would be "HOW warm?". Yes, your WARM clearances show that you do have clearance, but you won't know if it is enough clearance until you check them at the proper temperature.

We keep offering help by telling you what needs to be done and offering links that show you HOW it needs to be done, yet there is continuing resistance.
                        Good luck with your project, let us know if it turns out.

What do you mean? Everything you guys suggest I try? You guys say check the valve clearances I did. You said join the shim club, I've looked at the page, and haven't pm'd yet since, I don't need shims yet.

You guys say check the plugs, electrical system, clean the carbs, replace the rubber plugs in the carbs for your pilot jet, ballance the carbs. I've done all of this, plugs are in my desk I'll install them before I ballance, picked up motion pro carb ballance tool. Just waiting to fix the spark plug threads, before I recheck the valve clearances cold. Then reassemble, and ballance the carbs!

I was unaware the clymer manual was incorrect???? How would I know that? Then why not say here is a link to the only way to check clearance, and heads up the clymer is wrong!!! I'm trying to follow all the steps? Why do you say I'm resisting?

I've shimmed the valves before, and on dirt bikes, I was confident how to do it, just that I wanted a tool this time. How was I to know the clymer is wrong??

Anyway, Ed, thanks for letting me know I'm good clearance wise. I have no problems rechecking cold, and the Suzuki/gsresorces.com method, as the cover is still off so was that method linked to me and I just overlooked it? I read a link saying to use zap straps? Didn't catch anything about which way to point the lobes?

Thanks again for all your help, everyone.

What about my stripped plug? Time sert? 14mm 1.25 5/8" long? In place using grease?
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2017, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Timeserts are best option in my opinion. Downside is the high cost.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

Still reeling from failed PO helicoils; my vote goes into the timesert hat as well.
                            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                              Still reeling from failed PO helicoils; my vote goes into the timesert hat as well.
                              My only experience with a Timesert was one that came out with the spark plug. Came from the PO, of course, so I have no idea whether it was installed correctly, especially considering some of the other stuff we found on the bike.

Leave a BIG hole when it comes out.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Darn that's no good! I'm looking at kd tools, looks like a knock off time sert, all the ones I've looked at, are solid coils like the time serts.

Can it be done in place? Without pulling the head?

Comment

Working...
                                X