Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb rebuild issues

1983 GS1100ES carb rebuild.

As far as I can tell it has a dynojet kit as it has a 4 to 1 V&H and air pods. Ran fine before sitting up for too long and had never done carbs so did I took them down all the way, soaked them, changed all o-rings, changed float gaskets. I assembled according to BS-CV rebuild tutorial. Adjusted float heights (they were barely off). Re-assembled, thought I was good to go.

Used suggested setting on air jets of 2.5 turns.

First crank, started right up. Seemed to run quite rich as I was getting white smoke from pipe. Adjusted the air jets out a bit and got it idling fairly well. Let it warm up and adjusted idle, adjusted speedo, started to roll it and it dies right when coming off idle if rolled too fast. If I roll slowly past the stumble it will creep up but sounds as if starving. I am assuming fuel delivery is off and it is leaning out but I am no expert.

I just pulled them again and on closer inspection I dont see anything wrong. I am about to crack them all apart again and check that I didnt miss something. I also put new plugs in but not sure this is enough to read anything worthwhile from them. I also havent been able to balance them but I cant imagine balance issues would be enough for them to not even spool up right.

Any ideas?

The guys on here will need to know what size mains, pod type..
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I think they are DJ jets from the markings. BTW the bike ran fairly well before sitting up so the current setup is fairly correct. I can only imagine it was an error in reassembly or a defective something somewhere.

pilot air jet 180 (stock)
      pilot jet 45 (stock)
      jet needle x-1 (stock)
      main jet 155 (112.5 stock)

Comment

Did you remove the pilot jets and hold them up to a light to make sure they are open? Rubber plugs over the pilots?
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yep, I just pulled 2 of them apart and the plug is still in place and the pilots were both open. Everything is coming apart so much easier. I am wondering if in an effort to not over-tighten I didnt tighten enough. Goodness knows they were hard to disassemble so maybe I just need to snug everything more. I am always worried about brass on aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by last337 View Post
            Used suggested setting on air jets of 2.5 turns.
            Some will suggest 2.5 turns, others will suggest 3 turns. Either one will need some fine-tuning and might end up in the 2.5 range, but I find it easier to start with 3.

First crank, started right up. Seemed to run quite rich as I was getting white smoke from pipe.
            Your white "smoke" was probably just some condensation in the engine and exhaust system that was turning to STEAM, not smoke.

Adjusted the air jets out a bit and got it idling fairly well.
            You don't have any "air jets" on those carbs. The only externally-adjustable items are idle speed, carb sync and pilot mixture. The mixture screw (Suzuki calls it "pilot screw") will RICHEN the mixture if you turn it out because it controls a mixture of fuel and air, not just air.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X