Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VECI (Vehicle Emission Control Information) Location on a 83GS1100ES

Hi All,
    Do you know where the Vehicle Emission Control Information sticker is located on the GS1100ES?

This is regarding the me importing a Canadian GS1100ES to California. The California Air Resources Board's requirement that the vehicle originally met CA emissions standards at the date of manufacture. I plan on calling the CARB tomorrow, but also wanted to see if the seller could check for the sticker.
    1985 GS1150E (California)

It is highly doubt full a Canadian bike will meet CARB requirements. For example California bikes in that era did not have adjustable needles. In Canada they were.

Comment

Do those emission numbers matter on a 34-year-old bike?

Some states have exemptions over a certain age, and I know California is a completely different situation, but is there an age cut-off?

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        It is highly doubt full a Canadian bike will meet CARB requirements. For example California bikes in that era did not have adjustable needles. In Canada they were.
        Interesting! Thank you for the information, even if it's not what I hoped to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Do those emission numbers matter on a 34-year-old bike? Some states have exemptions over a certain age, and I know California is a completely different situation, but is there an age cut-off?
          Unfortunately, it's a fixed year. 1968 and newer for certain regulations, 1975 and newer for all California regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulkaccino View Post
            Unfortunately, it's a fixed year. 1968 and newer for certain regulations, 1975 and newer for all California regulations.
            OK, thanks. I figured there might be a cut-off, but I have not lived there since 1982, so have not had to worry about it or keep track of it.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I did some poking around and it seems that it may be under the seat on the inner fender.
              I saw some for sale on e bay, but not for an 83, but only a quick look.
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by Mulkaccino View Post
                Hi All,
                Do you know where the Vehicle Emission Control Information sticker is located on the GS1100ES?

This is regarding the me importing a Canadian GS1100ES to California. The California Air Resources Board's requirement that the vehicle originally met CA emissions standards at the date of manufacture. I plan on calling the CARB tomorrow, but also wanted to see if the seller could check for the sticker.
                My 82 1100E doesn't have an emissions sticker anywhere on it that I have seen. A Canadian spec model will not meet CARB requirements. If you look at the various country codes shown in the service manual you will see that the Canadian spec models often have the same details as the 49 state models, but never Kali.

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                I did some poking around and it seems that it may be under the seat on the inner fender.
                I saw some for sale on e bay, but not for an 83, but only a quick look.
                The inner fender sticker on my 82 only gives tire details and inflation pressures.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                X