Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Knuckledragger Drilled My Baffles...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Knuckledragger Drilled My Baffles...

Just acquired a 650GL and the baffles have been drilled for that "throaty" sound. Is there any way to "undrill" or otherwise plug these holes to quiet this thing down? I read a post where someone said they plugged them with lag bolts but naturally the pics are long gone. A new or good used exhaust is not in the cards at this time.

Can you insert a pipe down the exhaust opening? I presume you have a Suzuki exhaust system...

Comment

I can and yes I do. I guess my question is this. There are 6 holes around the outside of the muffler. About a half inch or so past those there is a plate that was solid but has been drilled out. The plate is pretty thin so I assume I can't just thread a bolt in there. Can the outer holes be plugged or are they supposed to be open for some reason other than looks?

Comment

Originally posted by rattfink View Post
        Just acquired a 650GL and the baffles have been drilled for that "throaty" sound. Is there any way to "undrill" or otherwise plug these holes to quiet this thing down? I read a post where someone said they plugged them with lag bolts but naturally the pics are long gone. A new or good used exhaust is not in the cards at this time.
        it's been a few years but at one time on here I saw where someone had their buddy weld in a ring and close over those holes, looked great too. Explore the site and maybe you can find it. Have a talented welder do the job and save your exhaust, cheaper than the other options.

Comment

Some one did me that favor too. My holes measure .550" and I cut 5/16 thick slugs from a 9/16 dia. steel bar stock. Slightly taper or chamfer one end below the .550 and carefully drive them in till flush then paint.
          Those outer holes are for appearance.
          I haven't driven mine in yet because I'm sorta liking the throaty sound. But mine is an 1100, I'm not sure it would sound good on a smaller engine.
          Alan

sigpic
          Weaned on a '74 450 Honda
          Graduated to an '82 GS850GL
          Now riding an '83 GS1100GL
          Added an '82 GS1100GL

Comment

Working...
          X