Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1166 with baffle,need only 150 main jet?..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1166 with baffle,need only 150 main jet?..

OK I thought it was good until late a friend came by on his HD and wanted me to ride it.
    We went up the road a mile and hammered them both. Came back to the shop , he had a 1166 several years ago and said something felt
    Weak in the middle and top, he suggested a 150 main, that's what he remembered he had in his.
    Could this be right? The jet kit came with 165 and 170 for bikes with pods and header.
    Could my baffle be causing This? It's quieter than it was when I built it 10 years ago,and I like it.
    I just want it to run right.
    Thanks.
    Stock 81 gs carbs with dynajet kits clip in 2 from top on a 6 Grove needle 165 main now down from 170,( it got better)
    Pods,v and H header with baffle insert , not stock one ,Blue fire and valves right. Screw 2.5 to 3 out.
    Thanks.
    Ps i've been kinda detuning it from quickest to more friendly daily driver.
    OK I thought it was good until late a friend came by on his HD and wanted me to ride.
    We went up thearly road a mile and hammered them both. Came back to the shop he had a 1166 several years ago and said something felt
    Weak in the middle and top, he suggested a 150 main, that's what he remembered he had in his.
    Could this be right? The jet kit came with 165 and 170 for bikes with pods and header.
    Could my baffle be causing This? It's quieter than it was when I built it 10 years ago,and I like it.
    I just want it to run right.
    Thanks.

Man, if a guy on a Harley tells you that your bike feels weak, there is a problem.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Honestly, I wouldn't think you needed more than a 130 Mikuni Main Jet. The Dynojet kits come with 138 DJ Main jets (which is roughly equal to a 130 Mikuni Main jet). And my experience with Dynojet kits on my bike and my ATVs is they are usually on the rich side (probably for safety's sake).
      1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Per Dynojet, this is the kit you should be using... 3133 . It doesn't show any jets close to what youre using. http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/3133.pdf
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
          Honestly, I wouldn't think you needed more than a 130 Mikuni Main Jet.
          I am running Mikuni 142 mains in my 1100E with pods, Kerker 4-1 and stock BS34 carbs. I can see him needing significantly more than a 130 for an 1166cc motor.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs7501166 View Post
            ..., he suggested a 150 main, that's what he remembered he had in his.
            Could this be right? The jet kit came with 165 and 170 for bikes with pods and header. ... 165 main now down from 170,( it got better)
            Any idea if he was talking about a DJ or Mikuni jet size? A Mikuni 150 is the same size as a DJ 160, and you said it got better going from a 170 to a 165 (assuming DJ sizes), so you might be pretty close.

You would have to do plug chops to verify, but your needle might be a bit lean, might need to move the clip down a notch or two.
            If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
              I am running Mikuni 142 mains in my 1100E with pods, Kerker 4-1 and stock BS34 carbs. I can see him needing significantly more than a 130 for an 1166cc motor.

Mark
              With a 36mm BS carbs and 1100 ported head (+1mm intakes ;95 CFM) and 1166 I was running 132-135 Mikuni's, Yoshi race 4:2:1. This was tuned using WBO2

depends on altitude but I would not go over 140-142 Mikuni assuming he has a stock head (poor flow).

Comment

Man, if a guy on a Harley tells you that your bike feels weak, there is a problem.
                +1 ......................

Comment

Honestly, I wouldn't think you needed more than a 130 Mikuni Main Jet. The Dynojet kits come with 138 DJ Main jets (which is roughly equal to a 130 Mikuni Main jet). And my experience with Dynojet kits on my bike and my ATVs is they are usually on the rich side (probably for safety's sake).
                  With 36mm carbs, 0.340 cams and Yoshi race 4:1 and stock 1100 I was at about 140 Mikuni.

After the 1166, ported head, 4:2:1 I moved down 137, 135 and eventually 132.5 Mikuni.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    Edit 5/20/2012
                    Bike is GS1100ED 1166, ported head, K&N pods, 36mm BS36, GSXR 4:2:1 Yoshi, 0.340 Webcams, Accel coils, coil mod
                    The final jet setting I arrived at are as follows. You can compare this with the various descriptions

Exhaust____4:1__________4:2:1
                    Type
                    Main jet_____140__________ 135
                    DJ needle__3 or higher_______ 2
                    Pilot jet_____47.5___________45
                    Pilot Air____stock?________stock?

A more normal jetting would probably be a 140 main (v.s. my 135) with the needle jet at 3 or higher (v.s .mine at 2). I'm attributing the leaner main and fatter needle setting to my 4:2:1 v.s. the more traditional 4:1. The 4:2:1 flows better at mid range but not quite the flow at the top end as compared to the 4:1.

Comment

OK, trying to absorb all of this.
                      My 150 jets I ordered should be hear today.
                      So I'll give them a try.
                      But u all are saying I might need something between 130 and 140?
                      Thanks guys, 10

Years has been a long time, I might not be remembering Right?
                      Ps I have a set of jet reamers,and a box full of jets,if the 150s help, and i need leaner i might roll my own.
                      I like to have the clip on the needle close to center!
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-23-2017, 09:01 AM.

Comment

He's running the smaller 34mm carbs and not the 36mm like we are, so I doubt he'll need anything as large as you were using, especially if he's still running stock cams (I didn't see in his list of what he was using for cams).

The wideband meters can be a real time (and money) saver for getting the jetting right.
                        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          +1 ......................
                          Yes, me 2.
                          He's a Japanese bike guy, but his dad gave him an old 883 sportster.
                          It got a built 1200 on it.
                          It shocked the he'll out of me.
                          I didn't feel comfortable with his forward controls,so I was nervous.
                          But from just off idle to 5-6K it felt awesom .
                          Don't think he could take me though, even with mine not being right.

Comment

For what it's worth, I have K&n pods, V&H 4-1 canister exhaust, and factory pro needles in stock bs34 carbs... and I settled on 142.5 after trying 135 - 145's. We have different needles, so may not apply; but I get the impression dyno jet needles need less main than their factory pro counterparts.
                            Edit - the above numbers are mikuni jet sizes.
                            Last edited by Tom R; 08-23-2017, 09:14 AM.
                            -1980 GS1100 LT
                            -1975 Honda cb750K
                            -1972 Honda cl175
                            - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by 81gs7501166 View Post
                              OK, trying to absorb all of this.
                              My 150 jets I ordered should be hear today.
                              So I'll give them a try.
                              But u all are saying I might need something between 130 and 140?
                              Thanks guys, 10

Years has been a long time, I might not be remembering Right?
                              Ps I have a set of jet reamers,and a box full of jets,if the 150s help, and i need leaner i might roll my own.
                              I like to have the clip on the needle close to center!
                              When you're testing your results, remember to let the bike get up to operating temperature (which takes at least 10 minutes for mine if I'm riding around). Otherwise when the engine gets warmed up completely you'll be running too rich.
                              The instructions from the dynojet kit shows 3rd notch from the top for you... you might want to start there.
                              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Working...
                              X