Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15% Ethanol - Is it safe?

Hi all,
    I've been told that the federal government in Canada plans to raise the ethanol precentage from 10% to 15% on pump 87. I usually put regular gas in the GS, but would 15% be a bad idea? I know shell 91 has zero ethanol, and I would use that if I wasn't cheap. Any opinions on this?

It depends if you drink it straight or mixed.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OMG!

I thought all shell offerings were 0 ethanol?
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

No it's not great ethanol is hygroscopic (it absorbs moisture from the air) i.e. Water can gather in your petrol tank plus I believe it is quite aggressive.
      Here in the uk I think it's 10% however I have heard they are going to 15% if there was an option here to use non ethanol
      fuel at the pumps I would use it.
      i believe the petrol used in aircraft has no ethanol.
      The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
      past bikes. RF900
      TL1000s
      Hayabusa
      gsx 750f x2
      197cc Francis Barnett
      various British nails

Comment

If you are touring and / or burning the tank full in a week or two its fine. But say setting all winter or a few months I wouldn't leave it in the tank or the carbs. I would drain both before letting any ethanol content fuel set around for very long.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I've used ethanol forever in everything I have. I keep the tanks full or close when sitting. I don't leave them sit with ethanol over the winter, nor more than about 3-4 months othewise. I never have problems, that includes lawnmowers, weedeaters, chainsaws, and older vehicles dating as far back as 1959. I used it when I still had my 1950 construction air compressor with a Hercules 6.

Comment

Non ethanol is the way to go, imo.

Use the old Sunoco Ultra 94.
            You can still find it at some Petro Canada stations.

Shaun
            SailEXIT

1983 GS850G
            1970 Hughes 29

Comment

Ok so the only real issue is letting it sit over a period of time? I've spoken to a few classic car guys that treat ethanol like cancer, saying it can damage an engine. They say E15 vs shell gass will basically change the tune, as ethanol will lean the engine out. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                If you are touring and / or burning the tank full in a week or two its fine. But say setting all winter or a few months I wouldn't leave it in the tank or the carbs. I would drain both before letting any ethanol content fuel set around for very long.
                This^^^^^^^
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I've seen a lot of bikes come through the shop with water in the tank and carb bowls. I avoid it like the plague on carb bikes. I've also have to replace quite a few petcocks that should not be leaking being less than ten years old. Even fuel injected bikes after sitting for a few weeks can wind up with a puddle of water in the bottom of the tank at the pump. Mind you Florida has 100% humidity all the time. I've even had lawnmower shut off valves leak with in a year.
                  GSRick
                  No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
                  Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I would think the o-rings and such in your carbs wouldn't be compatible with too much of an alcohol content. I remember finding a supplier of motorcycle carb o-rings which were made with ethanol laced fuels in mind. I think it was a seller on eBay, but I can't be sure this early in the morning and still sober.

Comment

We have E85 in some stations here although presently it has to be marked separately on the pump from regular unleaded.

If they ever go to 15% ethanol here in the US and make it the new "regular unleaded", a lot of people are going to have serious problems. I have one car and a weedwacker whose owners manuals forbid the use of more than 10% ethanol.
                      Charles
                      --
                      1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Phase separation process can occur with a very small of of water introduced to Ethanol Fuel (think humidity and temperature changes)

<strong>
                        Currently in the Stable :
                        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

..... actually, you can get water in your tank with any gas. The moisture in the air of the tank's free space condenses on tank walls and settles to bottom. Gasoline and water do not mix....

So, as said above, keep your tank FULL when not in use unless you live in a desert. A bit of fuel stabiliser extends the lifetime of that tank of fuel.
                          Musing:
                          Alcohol is used in race cars . But Alcohol delivers less mileage per liter or gallon. a bit of water mixed with alcohol can "burn" but of course there's more H20 as vapour and I'd suppose the flame is not as hot.

Comment

fning junk. The only people who like it make money on it
                            Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                            Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                            Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

and fuel lines. lots of issues with rubber over here in Oz Plus.... http://e360.yale.edu/features/the_ca...or_environment

Comment

Working...
                              X