No announcement yet.

Gs odd ball carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

figured out the secondary drive is fine . searched though foums for an answer...
    so the final drive i got is much better than the one i had i post a few pics of the old one then the new one cheers

Comment

It's not the final drive the fails, it's the driven spline in the rear wheel. Much easier to check and change than the final drive.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

cheers steve i started a new thread on the rear end matter i posted pics

Comment

final drive mix and match this is the new thread as i got the carbs running cheers for all the help love this site .

Comment

Originally posted by gmgs1050cafe View Post
            i bought it off a bloke who's brother had built the motor he had sadly passed away he was a bike mechanic .
            the story i got from the bloke he had a 850g with a bad top end and a 1000g with gear problems so he machined the 850 cases to accept the 997 crank and over sized the cylinders as well as added a cam package. its stamped 850 on the bottom cases and 997cc on the cylinder. i did all the fab work on the cafe style
            Goddamn, so it IS possible. I'd always made the assumption there simply wasn't the case room to accomodate the 1000 crank. IE, that it wouldn't be thick enough to allow machining without break-through or weakening it too much.
            If the 1000G crank were known to drop straight in, then many folks would have done it by now. Obviously, it's not a straightforward mix'nmatch, like some other conversions, but it's not impossible. I think yours is the first I've heard of.
            Over recent years, those who wanted bigger power and more grunt in an 850 bike would have easy access to the 1000G and 1100G engines, which just fit straight in, more or less.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
            X