GSX1100G choke....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX1100G choke....

Hey guys. As y'all probably know by now, I bought Dave Daniels' '93 GSX1100G a couple of weeks ago. Sweet bike! But one of the details that needs attention is the choke knob; when you pull it all the way out, it doesn't want to stay there - it wants to return to about 1/2 choke. The bike needs full choke to start when it's cold, and it also needs the clutch lever squeezed. So since I only have one left hand, I need to figure out what's supposed to make the choke knob stay put when I pull it out. Is there a tension adjustment somewhere? On the shaft, just below the actual knob, there is a series of four or five "dimples" cast into it, as though they are supposed to be part of a detent system. Right now, I'm using a piece of velcro wrapped around the clutch lever, and after I get the bike started, I take it off and wrap it around the handlebars. It works, but definitely not cool. Any ideas?

Originally posted by MI GS850G guy View Post
    Hey guys. As y'all probably know by now, I bought Dave Daniels' '93 GSX1100G a couple of weeks ago. Sweet bike! But one of the details that needs attention is the choke knob; when you pull it all the way out, it doesn't want to stay there - it wants to return to about 1/2 choke. The bike needs full choke to start when it's cold, and it also needs the clutch lever squeezed. So since I only have one left hand, I need to figure out what's supposed to make the choke knob stay put when I pull it out. Is there a tension adjustment somewhere? On the shaft, just below the actual knob, there is a series of four or five "dimples" cast into it, as though they are supposed to be part of a detent system. Right now, I'm using a piece of velcro wrapped around the clutch lever, and after I get the bike started, I take it off and wrap it around the handlebars. It works, but definitely not cool. Any ideas?
    Mine does the same, but I haven't investigated it yet. The OP disconnected the clutch switch on mine. Problem of not having three hands solved.

BTW, the kick stand switch still works so no starting in gear safety worries.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

BTW I may try for a second one if I can't get my shop unit tomorrow.
      GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

.................... Is there a tension adjustment somewhere? .............
        Knob? that you pull out? and it slips back down on it own?
        THat sounds like what the GSes had prior to 82, and the base, of where the rod pulled out of, could turn to tighten the grip on the rod to hold it against the spring that is down by the carbs. I have no idea if the 90s Suzukis went back to that (rather than the lever of the mid 80s) or not.

Untill I found that adjustment on my 80 gs850g, there for a while, I had a clothes pin that I would clip under the choke knob to hold the knob up for a while.......

Last edited by Redman; 04-01-2018, 08:05 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          Knob? that you pull out? and it slips back down on it own?
          THat sounds like what the GSes had prior to 82, and the base, of where the rod pulled out of, could turn to tighten the grip on the rod to hold it against the spring that is down by the carbs. I have no idea if the 90s Suzukis went back to that (rather than the lever of the mid 80s) or not.

Untill I found that adjustment on my 80 gs850g, there for a while, I had a clothes pin that I would clip under the choke knob to hold the knob up for a while.......

I just went out and took a closer look at the cable; there is a hex nut just under the choke knob that looks like it's made out of plastic, and it looks like it's split. If that is supposed to be the tension adjustment, that would explain why is doesn't work. I may find a metal replacement nut, or try to repair the split.

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
            BTW I may try for a second one if I can't get my shop unit tomorrow.
            Rick.... is that blue a factory color? If so, what is it called? It's beautiful! That looks like the same blue that Honda painted some of the Preludes in the '90's.

Comment

Rick.... is that blue a factory color? If so, what is it called? It's beautiful! That looks like the same blue that Honda painted some of the Preludes in the '90's.
              I'm not sure. I think it been painted since I don't see any factory decals and it looks a little burple to me. I'm not asking any questions until after tomorrow. I'm hoping to use the money I have saved to get my shop, but the landlords of the business park I'm trying to get in are hard to get a hold of.
              GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Scott, have you tried twisting the knob when you pull it out? Sometimes that will help wedge it into place.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Scott, have you tried twisting the knob when you pull it out? Sometimes that will help wedge it into place.

Yes, I have tried that, and sometimes it'll stay there long enough for me to get my finger on the started button, but it's very unreliable.

Comment

I have heard a technique described that involves pulling the clutch with your left hand, holding the "choke" with your right hand and pushing the starter button with your right elbow.

Even easier would be to bypass the clutch "safety" switch.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X