Single large air filter for plenum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single large air filter for plenum?

I have another GS550E project in the wings and have been collecting leftovers and spare parts. I found a titled frame for cheap. Someone.... not me.... started to "cafe'" it, meaning the side cover tabs are gone, an under seat electrical tray has been installed and, yes, the rear of the frame has been hacked off. No worries... I can work with this.

My biggest concern was having to fit pods on the CV carbs. But when I looked closer, I noticed two holes on the electronics tray that matched the mounting screws on the intake plenum. Woo Goo!
    I won't be able to run the air filter housing itself, as it would be completely sealed off by the tray above it.
    I know K&N used to make a filter housing that bolted to the plenum for the CB550. I've used one before and it worked great. I've been searching the forum and Google, but can't find anything or anyone that's done it on the GS.
    What do you know about running a large single filter on the plenum? Does anyone make an adapter plate? Anyone fabbed one up at home?
    Attached Files

These bolts should match the tray, allowing me to run the plenum but not the air filter housing.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Scott S View Post
      I know K&N used to make a filter housing that bolted to the plenum for the CB550. I've used one before and it worked great. I've been searching the forum and Google, but can't find anything or anyone that's done it on the GS. What do you know about running a large single filter on the plenum? Does anyone make an adapter plate? Anyone fabbed one up at home?
      My 1100E has a two piece airbox. The front half is the plenum that attaches to the carb mouths, the rear is the housing for the stock filter. When I bought it the rear half of the airbox was gone and a single large K&N was attached to the inlet to the front plenum. Is this what you are talking about?

Mark
      1982 GS1100E
      1998 ZX-6R
      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Isn't the stock setup pretty much a "single large filter for the plenum"?

Yeah, it came with a box around the filter, but it was just a single filter.

Shouldn't be too hard to come up with something.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
          My 1100E has a two piece airbox. The front half is the plenum that attaches to the carb mouths, the rear is the housing for the stock filter. When I bought it the rear half of the airbox was gone and a single large K&N was attached to the inlet to the front plenum. Is this what you are talking about?

Mark

Yes, exactly what I was talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Isn't the stock setup pretty much a "single large filter for the plenum"?

Yeah, it came with a box around the filter, but it was just a single filter.

Shouldn't be too hard to come up with something.

And that's exactly what I'm hoping to do. Admittedly, I haven't removed the filter housing yet to see what's left or what kind of hole is there on the plenum.

Comment

This is what I used on a CB550 once.
              Attached Files

Comment

And a 3D printed version.
                Attached Files

Comment

And a 3D printed version.
                  That looks very much like what my 1100 had, but the filter was mounted directly to the plenum inlet with no adapter. Jetting was in between stock and pods on my bike, with a 4-1 Kerker system on it. I can look up what it had when I bought it if you care.

Mark
                  1982 GS1100E
                  1998 ZX-6R
                  2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Did you buy yours or make it? If you have a source, that would be great.

Comment

I used a UNI foam filter on my Gs1000, works great!
                      78 Gs 1000, 94 Honda Xr600

Comment

How did you attach it?

Comment

This is my 1000ST setup......

air-filter-and-petrol-filter.jpg

Just have to strap the battery down and its was held in place by the air box

Comment

Mine looks like Sharpys, held in place by a radiator hose clamp that came with the filter.
                            78 Gs 1000, 94 Honda Xr600

Comment

Did you buy yours or make it? If you have a source, that would be great.
                              I bought the bike that way. It was a single large K&N filter, part #B035B4. I switched to pods right after I bought the bike so I didn't get much seat time with it like that. It had been jetted by a local shop and dynoed before I bought it. It ran OK, but not perfect and I would have spent time sorting the jetting better if I had kept the setup. As 05Astro says, the filter goes over the inlet lip on the plenum and is held in place with a hose clamp. The connection looks exactly the same as how a pod goes over the carb mouth and is clamped in place.

Mark
                              1982 GS1100E
                              1998 ZX-6R
                              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
                              X