GS 850 GLT original airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 850 GLT original airbox

As I'm using the original airbox, I took airfilter out, only to find a mess that looks like deteriorated foam that would make a seal between top of filter and airbox. So completely removed and cleaned back to metal. Now what should I put back to replace it, got to be something that I can stick in place of it?

I haven't done it myself, but I've seen some of the guys here recommend self-adhesive window weatherstrip.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ADHESIVE-WE.../dp/B002OHZX1S
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

You will want to seal that up.

I have used weatherstipping like that on the airbox side covers. It last there for a few years. I suspect there on the airfilter it may not last that long, more gas fumes, and the sliding/shear motion of inserting the filter.

I think a replacement air filter has that seal on it. The air filter cost more than seems reasonable (or at least to me it did).

If you think an option is to ditch (or bin) the entire airbox and go to pod filters, I have seem lots of comments here about that not being so simple, especially on 850 for some reason.

Last edited by Redman; 05-07-2018, 08:11 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I used weather strip like that on mine. It has held up fine after 4 years.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Thanks< I bought some draft excluder and it worked fine.

Comment

Working...
          X