K&N airpods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K&N airpods

I've bought a 1979 GS550 which has some airpod type airfilters on. They need replacing as they are kind of falling apart & I was thinking of getting some fancy K&N ones. However the ones K&N recommend on their website for the bike won't fit onto the outer (1 & 4) intakes, as the frame gets in the way.

Factory direct K&N replacement air filters, air intakes, oil filters & cabin filters. KNFilters.com - the official site for performance filtration products.

They do make some smaller straight ones, that the lady on the phone told me would have half the HP, from 245HP to 120HP.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Or insight into whether the reduced HP capacity will affect the GS550 (which seems to have a lower HP anyway)? Or any other solutions... I was presuming mixing and matching smaller and larger ones is a bad idea, but I don't know much about engines...
    1979 GS550

I'm afraid that I don't know the answer to your question, but I would be very wary of any advice from 'the lady on the phone'. A good, stock 550 makes 49hp.

550s were fitted with VM carbs before 1980, and BS carbs from then on, so you need to be aware of that. The different carbs have a different inlet circumference. I have heard of the issue of filters being obstructed by the frame. Presumably you don't have the standard airbox?

Also, might be worth posting a photo of your carbs, just to be certain which type you have.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

No HP issue. Just compare the specs on their site and see what will fit on the bike.
      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

The RC-2314 pods are listed for VM carbs which should be the type for the '79 GS550. No clue if they will clear the frame rail though.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

They do hit the frame on 1 and 4. The shorter, dumpier version is the one to go for.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I’d like to see even 120 hp in a 550 frame. That could be fun.😋

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
              I’d like to see even 120 hp in a 550 frame. That could be fun.
              I'm thinking "terrifying" is the better word.
              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

I’d like to see even 120 hp in a 550 frame. That could be fun.��
                Is this RedKat from PNW riders? Not that I visit that site anymore with all the ads.
                GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Sorry for the slow reply, got swamped with things less interesting but more pressing that fixing up an old bike : )

Thanks for all the info.

In light of it I bought some of these filters: https://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/p...x?prod=RC-0844

I'll attach a photo of the current set up incase anyone is interested. I presume I have the VM carbs.
                  IMG_20180419_101131 (1).jpg
                  1979 GS550

Comment

Those are VM carbs.
                    1980 GS550ET

Comment

I see that you have the extra horse power red as well.

V
                      Gustov
                      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                      81 GS 1000 G
                      79 GS 850 G
                      81 GS 850 L
                      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                      80 GS 550 L
                      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                      2002 Honda 919
                      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

After having a bracket race 71 Duster with 1198 hp and 1400 lbs of torque,4 speed manual to boot,more is always better. That car was built with a stock 318 from the factory. 120 hp in a 550? That’s a start.

Comment

I’m red1100 from LaCenter Washington

Comment

I’d like to see even 120 hp in a 550 frame. That could be fun.
                            I'd like to see the full 245hp with the longer filters - now that'd be smoking, quite literally. Would give the Kawa H2 a run for its money
                            That lady knows her stuff!

Comment

I have a 1980 GS550E and looked into this about a year ago when converting my motorcycle into a cafe. I found two things: 1) Only the K&N thin oval air pods that connect to two carb inlets per one filter will fit on this bike. If you look around with this in mind, you can find them, but they are kind of rare so it will take a little effort. There are also some tiny off-brand airpods that will fit if you really wedge them in there, but it looks like a PITA. The oval pods looked like the best bet. 2) Any air pods run on this bike tend to lead to performance issues. The CV carbs dont like pods and dialing them in is complicated. Best to run a stock airbox. I searched for probably 30 hours on air pods with a GS bike and 90% of the time, people had issues and found that the stock airbox was a much better issue. I, like you, love the look of pods and an open a-frame, so I was a bit bummed. However, I finished the cafe look and still thinks it looks great with the airbox installed.

Here is the offbrand style: https://www.dimecitycycles.com/49mm-...ir-filter.html

Comment

Working...
                              X