G vs E exhaust differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G vs E exhaust differences

What is the difference. I'm looking at exhaust systems for Natalie (my 82 GS1100GK)
    Was checking out Marving's offerings, and they offer a really nice exhaust for an 1100E but all they offer for the G is mufflers.

A set for a G should work just fine. You basically have a G, anyway, even though it looks different now.

As for the differences, the G mufflers were a bit longer than the E mufflers. Actually, the G mufflers were pretty much like the E mufflers in the '79 and older E bikes. In '80, the E bikes' mufflers changed, the G mufflers did not, and continued right through the last of the Gs and GKs in '84.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve.
      What I'm wondering though, is what would happen if I tried to put an E header on my G. I'm not worried about mufflers, which is ironic, because that's all that Marving's seem to have for the G is mufflers.
      are the E heads taller than the G heads? wondering if that's why my exhaust hangs down so far. I'd had to spend the money on a new one and have the same problem.

Comment

The question being about "mufflers" kind of mis-lead me a bit, I forgot that "header pipes" are part of the system, too.

I don't know if the header pipes on the 16-valve engines are taller than the pipes on the 8-valve engines.

All of the 16-valve GSes have chains going to the rear wheel, we don't have any of <them> around here.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X