86 GS550ES Only starts with starter fluid, dies when revved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 GS550ES Only starts with starter fluid, dies when revved

I bought this bike about a week ago non running. The PO said it had been sitting for 8 years. I'm no stranger to getting bikes up and running but I have to admit this thing is confusing me.

I have cleaned the carburetors twice, changed the oil, new spark plugs, new battery, and I de-rusted the gas tank which was in really bad shape. I even took the bike for a ride up the street and it was running well, but it stalled when I came to a stop and I ended up pushing it home. It will start and run, but only after I spray starting fluid in the airbox.

I have verified that the carbs are clean and the float bowls are getting fuel.

My question is, could the issue be something electrical or valve related? Is there something I am not thinking of?

Any help is appreciated. I am still new to this bike so forgive me I don't know much.

Thanks.

Well,you need to clean the carbs properly
    Did you follow the tutorial?
    http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...d_Tutorial.pdf. You have the 2 barrel carbs, but the basics are the same

It takes air, fuel and spark to run

If it runs with ether, that shows you have spark and air. So, fuel is all that's missing. Could it be that you didn't get all of the rust out of the fuel system?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Big T,

This tutorial will help me very much. Thank you. I will try again tomorrow and be a lot more through.

Comment

And while you are at it, THROW THAT CAN OF ETHER IN THE GARBAGE.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by landrover1 View Post

My question is, could the issue be something electrical or valve related?.... ... .
          No. Is carb related.

Originally posted by landrover1 View Post
          Big T,

This tutorial will help me very much. Thank you. I will try again tomorrow and be a lot more through.
          Tommorow.... ... ... actaully it will take multiple days.
          Need the bucket of carb dip, Berryman or other.
          First day to remove carbs and dissasemble, then soak that carb body and parts for 24 hours, then next carb, and so on.

And before that, check out Cycle O-Rings for a set of carb o-rings for the rebuild.
          And maybe/probably a set of orings for the intake boots too.

Last edited by Redman; 06-06-2018, 09:10 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks to everyone for all the help. That tutorial was extremely helpful and led me to some undiscovered dirty components. I have ridden the bike about 25 miles now with no issues.

Thanks again for everything!

Evan

Comment

Did you throw the ether in the trash can yet?

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Steve,

Haha. I haven't used it since so I might as well.

Comment

You will find that a properly setup bike that has clean, properly-jetted carbs, properly-adjusted valves and a good battery will not take much more than a stern look at the starter button to get it going. It is just SO easy to do SO much damage with ether, most of us will suggest not using it, even throwing the can away if you actually have one.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                  X