Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the lock on the 1980 GS1100E gas tank cap

First post!

I repurchased a 1908 GS1100E last December that I had owned from 1982 to 2000 that had been sitting un-run and unloved for 14 years with a leisurely mission to get my beloved bike (known as "Burt") running again. (had 14 year old gas in the tank/carbs too)My mission is to ride him, with the friend I bought him back from to the Barber Motorsports Park Vintage bike event in October.

I bought as new gas cap last week and it's lovely, but I wan to swap the key/lock assembly from the old cap to the new. Removing the parts under the cap only allow you to pull off the gasket. I can use it like it is, but I already need two keys, one for the ignition and one for the seat lock. I don't really want three keys. Any help out there on this?

BTW, if you are within striking range of Birmingham,Alabama and are free, go to this event! It is amazing. Great racing and the world's largest motorcycle museum too!
    Just an old guy trying to have a little fun with my toy.
    1980 GS1100E

sigpic

There might be a way to remove the key assembly. Try removing the chrome top cover. That should allow the key assembly to be removed.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-26-2018, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X