Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb bowl drain bolt size/thread - CV carbs - and where to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to get extra carb bolts to:

1 - make bowl float gauges

2 - get them in thumb screws or weld on lever/thumbscrew or weld on valves to make draining the bolts easier. I don't ride much and I'm tired of cleaning carbs so to help prevent carb gumming I plan on draining when I don't know when I'll ride next.
    Last edited by Andrew Vanis; 07-06-2018, 12:09 PM.
    1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
    1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
    1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Presuming you are asking about the DRAIN bolts, they are M6 x 0.5 thread. Length is probably about 10mm.

Not riding much? As in ... once or twice a year? A couple of years between rides? How much worse can it be than those of us that deal with a little bit of snow every winter? I just use Sta-Bil to treat the gas before laying up for the winter. I double the dose, run the bike around the block to get the treated gas through all the circuits in the carbs, change the oil and filter, put the bike to bed. Four or five months later, will make sure the battery is up, turn the petcock to PRIme, turn the key ON, apply the proper amount of "choke" and push the button. I have never had that fail. Not sure how many years you can keep the bike in storage this way, but I have never drained the carbs (intentionally) for storage.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I would ad that filling with ethanol free gas before storing really helps.
      2003 SV650 full fairing on a formerly naked bike so it has handlebars, not clipons
      1995 Yamaha XT225
      2007 Yamaha XT225
      1981 GS250T Cafe

Comment

And where are good places to get some?

Good suggestions as always Steve. using your approach, I'd be ALWAYS running with Stabil. Sometimes it is weeks or months between rides.

My Hypothesis is that vs. the once-annual put it away process that it is the RECURRING evap that causes the varnish buildup. I live in a hot environment so that might hasten the evaparations even faster.

I plan to try draining after rides when I don't know when the next one will be and run the bike dry before putting it away on the stand.
        1981 GS750L - Owned since 1990 when graduated high school and since have been discovering all the things not disclosed by seller.
        1983 GS750E - bought in 2016 as a rough runner to use while rebuilding 81L and then to combine with ES to make one good one
        1983 GS750ES - bought in Toronto in 2015 on a lark as a non-runner, missing front cowling and exhaust - If you have a 1983 750ES front cowling let me know! Blue would be nice

Comment

Ethanol free gas is availble at my local lawnmower shop and also at an independant fuel dealer in my area. I realise it's different all over the country but might ask at a small engine place. It can be pricey but for just a couple of gallons, it's worth it.
          2003 SV650 full fairing on a formerly naked bike so it has handlebars, not clipons
          1995 Yamaha XT225
          2007 Yamaha XT225
          1981 GS250T Cafe

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Vanis View Post

Good suggestions as always Steve. using your approach, I'd be ALWAYS running with Stabil. Sometimes it is weeks or months between rides.

My Hypothesis is that vs. the once-annual put it away process that it is the RECURRING evap that causes the varnish buildup. I live in a hot environment so that might hasten the evaparations even faster.

I plan to try draining after rides when I don't know when the next one will be and run the bike dry before putting it away on the stand.
            There's an unmanned station south of Candelaria, between University and Carlisle called Brewer. They have 86 octane ethanol free.20180701_161308.jpg
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
              They have 86 octane ethanol free.
              And, ... before anyone jumps on you for using 86 octane, they need to be aware that at your altitude (roughly 5000 feet), 86 octane has all the same properties of 87 octane that is closer to sea level.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                And, ... before anyone jumps on you for using 86 octane, they need to be aware that at your altitude (roughly 5000 feet), 86 octane has all the same properties of 87 octane that is closer to sea level.

Thanks for mentioning that Steve, and for putting my mind at ease. Just kidding, ignorance is bliss, LOL!

I did find another place with 91 octane ethanol free (fourth street North of Osuna) and have not noticed a difference in how the engine runs between the two. At over $4 per gallon for the 91, which Andy may choose for his 750, the $3.59 was a bit easier to swing. Plus it happens to be much closer to my house.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I drain mine all the time. I've been thinking about two things: switching to allen screw, and cutting a slot in the tip to allow it to drain without pulling the bolt all of the way out in order to drain. My bikes are spread out over three states, and I sometimes don't even see them in a year or so. For me draining is better than Stabil. Second best is pulling off the vacuum line and plugging it. Then, you can start and run the engine until it dies. You can even empty out the choke that way.
                  sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I keep marine sta-bil in my tank (and garage gas can) and the fuel keeps wonderfully. Never an issue even with gas that's several months old. I'm sold.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      I just use Sta-Bil to treat the gas before laying up for the winter. I double the dose, run the bike around the block to get the treated gas through all the circuits in the carbs, change the oil and filter, put the bike to bed. Four or five months later, will make sure the battery is up, turn the petcock to PRIme, turn the key ON, apply the proper amount of "choke" and push the button. I have never had that fail.
                      This is my routine as well and it works fine in snowy Alberta where my bikes will sit for a good 5-6 months if we have a bad winter.

Pure-gas.org is the definitive web site listing stations that sell pure gasoline in the U.S. and Canada.

Have a look and see what is in your area.

using your approach, I'd be ALWAYS running with Stabil.
                      There is nothing wrong with that aside from the cost of using stabilizer non-stop. Considering your riding schedule that shouldn't be prohibitive, though. There is also nothing wrong with draining the float bowls as well and I would suggest using a stabilizer even if you are draining the bowls.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Never an issue even with gas that's several months old. I'm sold.
                      There seems to be a vast range of fuel performance across North America. I see references like this to several month old gas being considered very old and then the fuel can for my weedwacker has fuel in it that is probably 5 years old and it still starts and runs just fine on that. It is a 2 stroke and the premix oil does have a stabilizer in it, but there is still a huge difference between a few months versus a few years old.

Mark
                      1982 GS1100E
                      1998 ZX-6R
                      2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                        Pure-gas.org is the definitive web site listing stations that sell pure gasoline in the U.S. and Canada.

Have a look and see what is in your area.
                        My question of where to get them is asking about the bolts, not the gas.

**** Has someone found a source for these bolts other than Suzuki?

I'm considering re-tapping the bowl to a readily available thread. Anyone got 4 spare ones I could experiment on?

I might even set up a manifold drain system with one valve and a pigtail that I can drain the gas into a container rather than having it stink up the garage for what seems for ever.

Comment

I might even set up a manifold drain system with one valve and a pigtail that I can drain the gas into a container rather than having it stink up the garage for what seems for ever.
                          like this you mean? These are only overflow though, not drain. I made a few of these, years ago, sold quite a few on eb@y as well!
                          carb drain rail.jpg
                          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I also made these as well, they were good sellers!

1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                              like this you mean? These are only overflow though, not drain. I made a few of these, years ago, sold quite a few on eb@y as well!
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]55587[/ATTACH]
                              Yes, something like that!

Ideally I'd do it with modifying the drain bolts IF I COULD FIND ANY and re tapping the bowls for brass nipples readily available woudl be choice 2. I'd sure like some to modify without kiling mine. Anyone have any extra extra bowls?

Comment

Working...
                              X