'82 GS850 Choke cable shenanigans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS850 Choke cable shenanigans.

Howdy folks, first time posting. I recently rebuilt my carbs but I'm having a problem getting the choke cable back into position. I know the '82 model had a different set up than earlier models and all the resources I find online are for older models. Basically I can't get the cable to the proper tension/position. Kinda stumped and don't really know what to do about it. Any help would be appreciated.

You must have something strange going on there, as the '82 and up "choke" systems is one of the easiest to use.

If the lever is in the 'home' position (pushed to the right), make sure the end of the cable is seated in its holder under the lever. The engine end of the cable goes through the "J" bend in the middle of the carb rack and gets held between two slotted tabs that hold it in place. There is a bit of adjustment possible at the top of the "J" bend, other than that, it's all plug and play.

Exactly where are you experiencing your difficulty?

By the way, I enjoy the simplicity and operation of the '82 setup so much, I converted my '80 850 to the newer setup.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X