82 gs450l bogs down when accelerating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs450l bogs down when accelerating

Recently purchased an 82 gs450l, off the bat had to replace the stator and rectifier regulator on it. Was running fine for a week or two until now.

In first and second gear the bike is super slow to accelerate, and very bogged down. After that it runs fine.
    I have a small slope in my driveway and it couldn't make it all the way up. Died about halfway.

Has anyone else had any issues like this? Any suggestions?

You just bought it. Do you have any idea how well it has been cared for during the last several years?

If not, you will have a few weeks' worth of catching up on neglected maintenance.

You have replaced the stator and R/R, hopefully that takes care of the charging, but there is still plenty more to ensure a good electrical system.

You need to check the valve clearances. Standard clearances are pitifully small, continued use makes them smaller. If not checked regularly, serious damage can result.

You need to clean the carbs. Not just a "drop the bowls and spritz around some spray" cleaning, but a full "strip and dip" cleaning.

How are the tires? How are the brakes? Is there oil in the forks?

Yes, the list goes on (and on). Unless you know the previous owner and have seen him (her?) ride and maintain the bike, you have to assume that absolutely NOTHING has been done and you will need to do it all.

Last edited by Steve; 07-19-2018, 11:58 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Check out the air cleaner then follow Steve's advice.
      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
        It was cared for ok from what I gathered from the previous owner.
        I did check the tires, 4 years old but still good, figured I'll replace them next summer. Brakes are in good condition and the fork seals aren't leaky at all.

I'll check the valves and completely take apart the carbs.
        Thanks for the advice.

Comment

It's pretty typical here to refer new biker owners condescendingly to the "Newbie Mistake" thread:

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

You should definitely look into all of the things Steve said but, to me, it sounds like you have a carb issue. With each of the two GS's I've owned as well as my friend's that I help him with, I did a thorough job cleaning the carbs once and have been cruising along since (obviously doing other required maintenance, too). Here's good tutorial on doing the GS450 carbs:

You won't need to replace any jets, but a new set of O-rings will do wonders. Most of use www.cycleorings.com which is owned by a member here and is very reasonably priced. Since you have the carbs off, I would also consider replacing the rubber intake boots and the O-ring that takes care of air leaks between them and the cylinder head that are probably 36 years old.
          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550
          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Working...
          X