Has anybody used Marving mufflers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody used Marving mufflers?

I've got to replace the mufflers on my 1980 Gs850g. I want to keep it looking stock or stockish.
    I'm looking at these Marvi by Marving:

Suzuki motorcycles and scooters are going from strength to strength. If you own one then look no further than Wemoto to get all your motorcycle parts online.

The dimensions shown look like they'll fit but the megaphones are about 5 inches (125mm) shorter than standard. Looks like you have to cut the stock mufflers off then slip these on.
    Is there much difference to the note or power?
    Thanks in advance.

No I have not, but I have been lusting after their flat collector 4 into 1 race pipes for GS 1000 and GS750 for some time... But there is only one distributor for them in the US, and they are pricey! For complete systems, Delkevic really came in and knocked out the competition with amazing stainless full systems for just over $300..My favorite current production exhaust for those 2 models...
    '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
    '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
    '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
    '79 GS425stock
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
    '77 GS550 740cc major mods
    '77 GS400 489cc racer build
    '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

They won't add or lose any power and the noise is the same (or very similar - I never noticed a difference) to stock. They are a bit lighter and the chrome is fine. Decent, if spendy, option if you want to keep the 4 in to 2.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck78 View Post
        For complete systems, Delkevic really came in and knocked out the competition with amazing stainless full systems for just over $300..My favorite current production exhaust for those 2 models...
        That's what I'm running on my 78 1000E right now. I recently swapped the straight can to the megaphone and like the way it looks a lot better. WIsh I could have stayed with the stock exhaust but it was rotted out from end to end and decent condition used ones were way too expensive. I'm really happy with the Delkevic full system though.

Comment

I have a marving race on my 1000. I like it a lot. It's as free flowing (judging by the MPG and butt dyno) as the Yoshi I ran but still allows centrestand & non remove oil change.

Far better than the V&H's I've run & not as noisy as the Bassani

It's chrome not stainless. I will prob try a Delkevic for the 1100G & then see which I like best (the hanger is the only difference according to their tech support so I can swap it to the 1000 if I want to..)
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I've found a place in Queensland Australia (I'm in Melbourne Australia) called Tranzac, who are making me up a factory replica exhaust. I'll see how it goes.

Comment

Hi Andrew,
              I'm also in Melbourne. How much did it cost to get an exhaust custom made? Looking into options to replace my rusted out stock system.
              1984 GSX750EF
              2000 KTM 200 exc
              2004 KLR 650
              1992 XR600R

Comment

A bit late, but I thought I'd add my bit on Marving in case it's useful to someone....

I've put Marving mufflers on both my '77 750B and '80 850GT - both with a 4-into-2 system using the original headers.

Although a fan of the original looks, sound, and quality of the Marvings, I have a couple of comments regarding the old problem of aftermarket parts - fit.
                The 750 fitted well, with the exception of the fact that Marving cut longitudinal slots into the ends of the pipes where they join the headers - presumably to aid with clamping the pipe on to the header - however, the stock clamps and connector gaskets are not long enough to cover the whole length of the slots - leaving holes to be filled.
                The same problem occurred with the 2&3 pipes of the 850 - the Marving pipes are not quite long enough to allow the header pipe to cover the slots - leaving holes.
                The muffler pipe/header pipe junction is only a loose fit on all pipes, and there are no connector gaskets - necessitating the use of messy sealant. If/when I pull it apart again, I'll investigate something better.
                And the mounting brackets on the muffler were 40mm too far forward, requiring the fabrication of some mounting plates.

Disappointing, considering they are supposedly designed specifically for the bike(s).

And for your info, the 850 mufflers do away with the need for a collector box/pre-muffler under the sump - a fact I discovered after acquiring a replacement at vast expense!

Once on, though - lovely....
                '77 750B - owned it since '79
                '78 750C
                '80 850G
                '70 TS250-2 - doing the rebuild
                '75 Yamaha XS650B
                '03 Ducati ST4S

Comment

Those mufflers used to go by the name of Jama. Not sure if that is a brand name or the name of a company that made them previously. If you search through the archives you will get a few hits but not many. Decent quality is what I remember. Tangent's comments seem most valuable.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                  X