A true brain stumper. Carb guys please reply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A true brain stumper. Carb guys please reply

83' GS450GA is what I am working on. Got aggressive with carb spray and blew out the parts from the crossover/accelerator pump chamber (no iidea what it is called or what it actually does). Here are pics with everything intact, both bowls have this. Retaining spring, brass piece about 3/8" long under it and a tiny steel ball bearing underneath that. I need another brass piece and bearing and the both retaining springs. I will post pics of brass pin and bearing tomorrow.

Parts diagrams do NOT show these parts, at least not that I can find (see pic or parts outlaw). I have a whole other bike so I am not in desperate need but semi-desperate as I want to have both sets useful.

Anyone ever seen these parts before or no exactly what this crossover between carb bowls does?v1.jpg

Another picv2.jpg

Comment

Parts fichev3.jpg

Comment

Would you believe that you already described it?

There is one accelerator pump. The crossover tube is so it will discharge in both carbs.

The brass thingies, along with the springs and balls are check-valves. When you twist the throttle, you are turning a cam that pushes down on the rod to activate the pump. The pressure generated by the pump overcomes the springs, allowing gas to flow past the balls. When you stop twisting the throttle, the springs push the balls back into place, to be ready for the next squirt.

It has been many years since I have seen that setup, and it's ONLY on the 450GA.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Would you believe that you already described it?

There is one accelerator pump. The crossover tube is so it will discharge in both carbs.

The brass thingies, along with the springs and balls are check-valves. When you twist the throttle, you are turning a cam that pushes down on the rod to activate the pump. The pressure generated by the pump overcomes the springs, allowing gas to flow past the balls. When you stop twisting the throttle, the springs push the balls back into place, to be ready for the next squirt.

It has been many years since I have seen that setup, and it's ONLY on the 450GA.

Bummer, was hoping it was on other GS bikes that I was just not familiar with. As you can see parts fiche doesn't even show the parts so probably hard to find replacements unless i make my own

Comment

can you still buy the bowls? One assumes if they are integral and not listed that the bowls come dressed with them.
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Are those Keihins or Mikunis?
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
                Are those Keihins or Mikunis?
                Mikunis.

I don't think the carb bowls are something you can buy anymore Cipher

Comment

18-2903_n.jpg
                  Looks like k&l makes them for the kz1000. Might be worth a shot.
                  1981 Suzuki GS250T
                  1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                  1985 Suzuki GS550E
                  2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

by golly I looked all over for the bs34 fitted to yamahas. Elite search skill on your part.
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by fbody_mike View Post
                      https://www.klsupply.com/carb-fuel/a...650-kz1000.asp

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55991[/ATTACH]
                      Looks like k&l makes them for the kz1000. Might be worth a shot.
                      Those look like the parts, damn high priced little bits. Got to try and find some used ones

Comment

yikes 28.99 per carb? alas youll be less liberal with a jet of carb spray in futire.
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Did you ever get the replacement pieces for the carb?
                          I am missing the same parts.

Comment

Sorry my friend, haven't been on this site in a long time. Yes I did, I took them out of a Kawasaki carb but can't remember which one, this was 4 years ago now. Someone suggested once to me to run without them, not sure how that would work. Check Ebay, maybe you can find the parts there

Comment

Pretty sure I've got some of those parts if anyone is in need.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X