fuel tap and leaky something issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel tap and leaky something issue

Hi there, my gs550 fuel tap seems to hit the CV carbs when the tank is installed (see picture) just wondered if the tap is wrong? or something else strange is going on here, also, with the tap set to prime "PRI" the second carb from the left leaks so i'm guessing thats going to have to come apart, and tips or tricks to getting the airbox off and carbs out?, cheers, George.

IMG_20180820_050459[1].jpg

The petcock looks the same as my 850 not sure if it's standard on the 550 if you have fuel flooding from any or all carbs when in prime then as you say need for stripping and fixing (float needle valve) I have not worked on a 550 but I think I have read that the airbox is a bit of a pig to remove. I'm sure someone will be along to advise.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

What year is your 550?

That does not look to be the correct one for your bike. Also, prime is not meant for general everyday use but only to test the fuel flow or to lightly fill the bowls if the bike has been sitting for a long period of time. The floats are not meant to hold back that much fuel for that long. Use the on position (straight down) or reserve (pointed forward) and ensure your vacuum is connected
      Last edited by cowboyup3371; 08-20-2018, 07:09 AM.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

i'm now wondering if its actually the other end of the fuel pipe thats leaking rather than the carbs, the carbs have got to come off either way, how the hell do i do this?, there is very little room between the airbox and the engine for me to wiggle the carbs free, and theres no way of getting the airbox off first, any ideas?

Comment

Vacuum tap may have failed and fuel is running down the vacuum line into #2 (and the crankcase?)

Check your oil level and see if the oil smells like gas
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

To get the carbs off undo the airbox mountings to the frame then undo the clamps on the front and rear of the carbs. Push the airbox back as far as you can and wiggle the carbs out to the RH (brake lever) side - they're a tight fit in there and if your hoses are hard it makes things tougher. Some guys advise loosening the front part of the rear mudguard so you can get the airbox back further but I've never done that. Undo the throttle and choke cables when the carbs are hanging out.

Your tap looks like it's the wrong one - the later ones were much more compact.

Fuel leaking out of your carb could be a stuck float, worn needle or perished o ring on the needle seat. The needle should be able to hold back fuel for minutes at least.
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Wiggled the carbs off actually found it easier to get them off left hand side, loosening the airbox and pushing it back as said, the leak seems to have just been the fuel pipe itself (carb end) , its perished and lose, hooked up the tank and pushed the tap round to prime and it seemed to be the only place of leakage, new hose and a beafy clamp going on, hopefully I don't have to pull the carbs apart after all... Maybe.

it's an 80\81 cv carb model in terms of the tap, looks wrong to me somehow

Comment

Now you've got the carbs out you might as well pull the float bowls off and check they're not full of crud.

Plus are the rubbers inlet and outlet hoses soft? If they've hardened you'll struggle to reseal the carbs and they need to be 100% airtight.

Link to CMSNL for the correct tap:

Last edited by hampshirehog; 08-20-2018, 06:23 PM.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                  Now you've got the carbs out you might as well pull the float bowls off and check they're not full of crud.

Plus are the rubbers inlet and outlet hoses soft? If they've hardened you'll struggle to reseal the carbs and they need to be 100% airtight.

Link to CMSNL for the correct tap:

https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs550-1...l#.W3s-9ut4WrU

jeez, who knew fuel taps could be so expensive, might be easier for me to find a second hand tank with one already on, i'll keep an eye out, and the rubbers seem pretty good actually, it wasnt as difficult as i imagine it could be getting the carbs off and back on so there must be some life left in them yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X