Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 GS750 Intake Discovery

Folks,

As this is my first attempt at doing carb/intake work on a GS model of any kind, I wanted to pass this pic along & ask if anyone's ever encountered such a mess!! Took me nearly two hours off & on to get these three suckers off (No.4 is gonna need a hack saw to at least one screw head b4 it'll come off I'm afraid). I'm now on the fence whether I should just buy new ones. . .

It kinda looks like the sealant used on the outer edges of the airbox where the rubber endcap boots lay. Or perhaps dried out decades old lithum grease?? At any rate, Is this something factory or a certified repair shop would typically do? All comments welcome. Thanks in advance; Bring On 2019!!
    Attached Files
    '78 GS750E (currently undergoing TLC).

There should be no sealant used. There is an o-ring that sits in a groove. That is the black petrified ring you see. The o-ring should be the only thing used.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I was afraid of that At least NOW I feel it can be corrected. Any suggestions on how I should prep the face(s) of the head's intake ports? There's some remains there too (thinking acetone & #0000 steel wool).

TIA

Comment

Just scrape off the crud, pull the (petrified) o-ring out and touch them lightly to a belt sander with some fine (220?) paper.

New o-rings for your intake boots and your carbs can be purchased very inexpensively from cycleorings.com.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yup-Bought the o-rings & new intake bolts nearly a month ago when I set up to rebuild my carbs. They were a mess too, but not anymore! So, once I get these cleaned up & ready to mount, should I not use a skim of grease to hold the o-rings in place? Certainly not as much as the crud I found here, just enough to provide 'tack'.

Comment

Yeah, a dab of grease or something sticky to keep the O rings in place while you mount them
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I use high temperature vacuum grease. helps keep them in place and makes for a good leak free seal.
              1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Working...
              X