Air filter repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air filter repair

After 40 years the foam air filter element on '79 GS850 is falling apart. Has anyone tried putting new foams on? It looks to me that if you could find the right kind of open cell foam you could wrap it around the metal frame.
    image.jpg

The filter foam is still available new, just under $30. You'll need to find some foam to go around the top where it mates to the airbox though. For that, closed-cell foam weatherstrip with adhesive backing is the way to go. It's the same stuff you need to replace the rubber in the airbox end caps.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Get the stock filter and be happy for awhile longer
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The price of a simple piece of foam seems awfully outrageous but after spending some time looking around the lowest priced option is to just order up a stock one, eBay is your friend.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Thanks for the thoughtful responses.

Cost is the reason for asking the question. I bought this GS as a basket case and my main goal right now is to get it running so I can see what I have. I know it will not run properly without an air filter.

A $30 air filter becomes $50 with shipping and exchange to Canadian dollars. So if I can make a DIY for $5 worth of foam it makes more sense to me.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by canuckxxx View Post

Cost is the reason for asking the question. I bought this GS as a basket case and my main goal right now is to get it running so I can see what I have. I know it will not run properly without an air filter.

A $30 air filter becomes $50 with shipping and exchange to Canadian dollars. So if I can make a DIY for $5 worth of foam it makes more sense to me.

Brian
            Mine is $15 delivered which is much more manageable. My second choice is buying a generic piece of foam filter at the Ag supply store which is sold in a bulk roll, in your case that may be the more affordable option.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I understand your concern with the price but to be honest, you'll spend more time troubleshooting and getting frustrated over why it may not be running correctly then if you get the right part from the beginning. To have a good baseline you really need to start with the correct items first. Take your time to get the parts if you need to and you'll be enjoying springtime on the bike instead of behind the wrench.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

This is an OE style, aftermarket, air cleaner element on EBay. Any experience with them?
                image.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by canuckxxx View Post

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                  I understand your concern with the price but to be honest, you'll spend more time troubleshooting and getting frustrated over why it may not be running correctly then if you get the right part from the beginning.
                  I am constantly amused by newer owners that say something along the line of "I got the bike almost free, I don't want to spend that much for a new part" or "that will cost more than I paid for the bike".

A better way to approach that is: you paid less for the bike, that leaves more in your budget for parts and/or tools. If your budget isn't large enough to cover what it's going to take to get the bike going safely, you might want to re-evaluate whether the bike is the right choice.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sounds like you amuse easily. We're just on different wave lengths, different ways of going about things.

Comment

Yes, I amuse easily. If it's cheap, it's even better.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thrifty, eh...Ah, many's the time I've looked at the $45 air filter and said no way!
                        for you, I think a Urethane based foam is what you are after...it's grey, soft, permeable just like the green foam it replaces ...and isn't destroyed by oil in my recollection but you can do the wikapedia on that as a suitable substitute. An obvious thought is the ( often green?) foam from a Briggs and Stratton- an old lawnmower...you might want two of these to fill the cross-section Yet another path might be the foam filter from a Wet'n'dry Vac. Some of these should be the correct type if you read the small print....doubled maybe. They are quite thin.. as to where or how much you pay, it's luck, some hoarding against future uses, and time on the hunt versus $.

Of course, what you don't want is "bed and cushion" foam. A lot of this seems to swell and gofunny with oil or gas fumes...

A drop of gas on any scrap of likely foam should give you the clue you need. You do not want it disintegrating into the carbs.

In the same aisle of the thrift store, you may spot a new accordion- paper air filter for some car nobody has....these can be adapted with scissors and shears. You may even put some light oil on them, but I wouldn't bother- "as is" will do for quite awhile 'til you find some foam or another thrift- paper one.
                        Last edited by Gorminrider; 01-20-2019, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info Gorminrider. I'll check out urethane foam.

Comment

I have no idea on the durability or whether it would withstand gas fumes but a couple layers of this stuff MIGHT work.
                            Got scissors?
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

^ Nice one!
                              lifetime supply for 3.99US

search per "oil bath air filter foam" brings up several ideas..from a pdf, apparently "polyurethane" is correct vis a vis
                              "1.1
                              Types of Air Filters
                              There are many types of air filters are in use most common types are as follows:
                              A.
                              Foam
                              Another automobile air filter element is Oil-wetted polyurethane foam. previously Foam was used as
                              air cleaners on small engines like lawnmowers. Foam filters are widely used on air compressors for air tools up
                              to 5Hp. Depending on the grade and thickness of foam used, this type of filter can offer minimal flow
                              restriction. the dust is captured on foam filters, large amounts of dust trapped without major change in airflow
                              restriction. Example: off-road rallying, motorsport."

Comment

Working...
                              X