• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hanging idle - Timing?

My '82 GS550L -

Rebuilt carbs
    replaced o-rings

idles great at 1100 until I stop at a light... then it'll sit around 2.5k (it varies)
    If I use the transmission to 'bog down' the engine to 1100, it'll stay there just fine.

At a loss. Is it possible there is a timing issue? Keep in mind this bike doesn't have points, but the electronic pulser.....

First suspect would be an air leak, probably at the o-rings on the intake tubes. Sorry, but that involves removing the carbs, which is not a fun job on that bike.

One thing to try before you pull the carbs would be to check the pilot screw settings. Turn each one in GENTLY until it stops, counting the turns as you go in. Record that number, move to the next carb. When you are done, make sure the screws are out 3 full turns. That is likely a bit too rich, so you will have to turn the screws in SLOWLY, listening for a drop in engine speed. When you hear the drop, turn the screw back out 1/8 turn, move to the next carb. Blip the throttle to see if it has improved.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

In my experience - with mikuni CV carbs - a hanging idle is caused by a lean condition.

Like he said, Id check for vacuum leaks. In not sure what you have for mods, but you may also be jetted too lean.

Comment

As said, unlikely timing.
        Air leak is the go to for starters.
        I found an unusual one last month. Diaphragm was not seated right on one carb.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I should've said timing ADVANCE, but...

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          First suspect would be an air leak, probably at the o-rings on the intake tubes. Sorry, but that involves removing the carbs, which is not a fun job on that bike..
          Like I said. I have replaced the O-rings, and I can get the carbs off now in just a few minutes I've done it so many times. Carbs are also rebuilt. Runs great except for the idle issue. I'll continue to look for a vacuum leak.

I really don't understand why it hangs but will run fine and apparently forever at 1100 rpm if I bog the engine down to that point. It doesn't rev BACK up like I would expect a vacuum leak to cause....

Comment

Originally posted by alabamatom69 View Post
            I should've said timing ADVANCE, but...

Like I said. I have replaced the O-rings, and I can get the carbs off now in just a few minutes I've done it so many times. Carbs are also rebuilt. Runs great except for the idle issue. I'll continue to look for a vacuum leak.

I really don't understand why it hangs but will run fine and apparently forever at 1100 rpm if I bog the engine down to that point. It doesn't rev BACK up like I would expect a vacuum leak to cause....
            Did you replace the large O-rings between the head and the rubber carb holder boots?

You might want to check the Newbie Mistakes thread linked in my signature to see if anything applies...
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Also, when was the last time the intake boots were replaced? You may have a slight crack in one that can cause issues especially if they are fairly old
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
              X