'82 gs1100gl stock carb jetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 gs1100gl stock carb jetting

Pulled and cleaned the carbs off my newly acquired GS1100. They had 170 pilot air jets, 40 pilot jets and 107.5 mains. The kit had both 107.5 and 115 mains. My service manual lists the mains at 115 ? I'm using stock pipes and air box. The pilot jet needles were all about 2 turns. Should I go with the 115's or put it back like I found it ? The bike had been setting for a while, would only idle/run with the choke on, lots of plugged up stuff. Thanks, Jim

How much of a pain is it to get the carbs off and back on? I would probably leave everything as-is after cleaning and see how it runs. If it still runs like garbage after cleaning and adjustment is when I would start changing jetting.
    1982 GS850GL - Shaved seat foam and new seat cover; Daytona handlebars and Tusk risers; Puig "Naked" Windscreen\
    1978 KZ200 - Mostly original, hydraulic front brake swap, superbike bars; purchased at 7k original miles
    Track bike project: 2008 Hyosung frame w/ 97 gs500E engine swap (in progress)

Comment

I had done a forum search for this information and found a related thread. The op was using 1980 carb set on a 1982 bike. Steve (I think) said the 1980 used the 107.5 mains, the 1982 used the 115’s. Everything else was the same between the two. This carb uses the plug below the pilot jet, so all the fuel has to pass through the main. Just a little pita to get it back apart again, I’d like to get it right the first time if I can.

Comment

I don't have my chart with me right now (I will, later this evening), but I seem to recall that the 1100 shafties had 115 mains, but the 1100 chain-driven bikes might have had the 107.5s. Because you have a kit for an '82 1100, you have both. I would go with the 115s.

Will update after I get home.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Carb specs.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Since the bike is stock it's best to use stock jetting. Hopefully the original Mikuni brand jets are available, not some questionable aftermarket jets.

And be sure to go through the entire carb set and break them down using the tutorial on Basscliff's website (also located in my signature).
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Will update after I get home.
              I'm home.

As suspected earlier, at least the '80/'81 1100 16-valve engines (chain-driven bikes) had 107.5 mains. For '82, some of them had moved to 110, by '83 they were 112.5.

All years of the 8-valve shafties that had CV-style carbs ('80-and up) all had 115 main jets.
              Might have been a bit different in non-US markets, I don't have info on them.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Going back together tonight with the 115’s, hopefully it will quit raining someday...... Thanks !

Comment

Working...
                X