Running issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running issues

Hey guys having a bit of an issue getting my 1981 gsx400s running. I can get the bike started but when it comes to idle or revving I get nothing. I pull on the throttle it chugs or dies when I let go of throttle it dies. Tried mixture at 1.5, 2 and 2.5 turns. Went through the carbs and cleaned them and got the same results. Sprayed quick start around the carbs with no huge rev spikes.

How did you clean them? Was it running before or is this a bike you picked up and hasn't been running for a long time. Do you have the airbox on it, pod filters or nothing at all.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I have the air box with no filter. Mine was dust. Sat for 10 years and ran it after a quick clean then did a more thorough cleaning tonight. No change. I cleaned them by hand with a brush carb cleaner and copper wire.

Comment

You will need a filter in there to start with and will want to follow the full cleaning procedures laid out on Basscliff's site (http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff). If they are CV carbs, use the CV process written up by Nessism. Basically, you need to completely strip the carbs and let each one soak in a can of Berryman's for up to 24 hours. If you can't get that, I know others in your neck of the woods found some success with Pinesol but I personally wouldn't trust it.
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Westhewelder View Post
          I have the air box with no filter. Mine was dust. Sat for 10 years and ran it after a quick clean then did a more thorough cleaning tonight. No change. I cleaned them by hand with a brush carb cleaner and copper wire.
          As Cowboy said you need to a better cleaning. It sounds like you did an external cleaning, but more than likely those carbs sat for 10 years with gas still in them when it was parked. That means that not only are the jets clogged, but the circuits are also. That is the passages that the air and fuel flows through the carb body. These can't be cleaned out properly with carb spray, though it is still used, it won't dissolve the varnish in those passages. You'll need to dip them like Cowboy said in Berrymans or Gunk carb dip. These are one gallon paint cans full of some really nasty stuff. They have a basket inside to put you carb body and all the parts(jets). You have to completely tear them down and do each one at a time. You'll need new orings and gaskets, but the jets if the area that you unscrew them aren't buggered up are reusable as long as they are fully cleared out. An ultrasonic cleaner can also be used, but when they've been sitting that long, it's best to tear then down and the oring in the fuel tubes that connect the carbs together will have hardened and will leak once it has been disturbed. You can get your orings and fasteners here cycleorings.com ,it is a service one of our members provides at a great price.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I pulled all the jets and gave them a soak all passages were blown out with air if I had an ultra sonic cleaner would have done it but dont unfortunately
            20190519_184956.jpg

Comment

The varnish from the old fuel will build up in passages within the carb body you won't see that air and spraying WILL NOT remove. Until you actually clean them properly you won't know for sure they are good
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Do the carb dip, you'll be glad with the results!
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

So bought a filter and gives me an easier start up to get it running long enough to see what's going on, looks like I'm running on 1 cylinder bit the diaphragm on the carbs seem shot and all the gaskets are rocks. And sources on these parts for canadians?

Comment

Working...
                  X