Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs550E 1980 problem carburators BS32SS

Hello everyone I am writing from Italy I have a GS550 E from 1980,
    He has been following you for a long time, but I can't find a solution to the problem I have with BS32SS carburetors in the forum.
    I dismantled them completely, washed with thinner, cleaned all the jets.
    I mounted them on the bike I pulled the air the bike started right away but turned off after a few seconds and never starts again. If I leave it off for a few hours, it starts immediately but has the same defect.
    What problem could it be?

Thanks for any answers and sorry for the grammatical errors.

Likely fuel starvation; bowls aren't filling up properly. Make sure the floats and needle valves can move freely; sometimes new bowl gaskets scrape the floats (shrunk rubber or loosely cut). I assume the needle valves have been cleaned correctly.
    Last edited by roeme; 05-27-2019, 06:38 PM. Reason: improve sub-par english.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

The needle valves are been cleaned really good.
      Ok I check again the height of the floats

Thanks Roeme for the answer.

Comment

Also confirm you are even getting fuel to the carburetors continuously; are your vacuum and fuel hoses connected properly without kinks?
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yes, the fuel line it's ok

Comment

Your carbs might be slightly different from USA units.....can you post a picture of at least one? When you cleaned them, did you immerse them in thinner,or?? Did you use new o-rings? How many turns out are your pilot mixture screws?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              Your carbs might be slightly different from USA units.....can you post a picture of at least one? When you cleaned them, did you immerse them in thinner,or?? Did you use new o-rings? How many turns out are your pilot mixture screws?
              You sure his pilots are the problem? I don't think pilots too far out empty the bowls faster than them be refilled...

+1 on the pics.
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                You sure his pilots are the problem? I don't think pilots too far out empty the bowls faster than them be refilled...
                It was a trick question to make sure that he understood the importance of having clean pilot passages..not just cleaned jets!
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Last night when I returned from work I tried to start the bike, it turned on immediately but turned off after a few seconds

tonight I will take pictures and the audience. I have completely disassembled the carburetors and cleaned them with thinner. I have replaced all the OR

I bought the fitting to measure the fuel level. As soon as it arrives, I measure it on every

s-l400.jpgcarburetor
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2019, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    It was a trick question to make sure that he understood the importance of having clean pilot passages..not just cleaned jets!
                    Aaah, good one. Didn't think of that.

Comment

Working...
                    X