81 gs1100 exhaust options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs1100 exhaust options

I have a gs1100 that came with a rusty but functional MAC 4/1 system.

it's been fine, but after the bike's first track day, it ended up with some pretty serious scraping because of the reduction in ground clearance on the right hand side.

i'm shopping replacements.
    looking for help shaking out the details.
    options:

Delkelvic - https://delkevic.com/full-system-to-...l-4-1-headers/
    seems decent, price is about the same as the MAC. ought to bolt right up to a gs1100, even though it's spec'd for a gs750. has the same style header collars as the MAC to bolt up to the exhaust manifold. seems like it would still limit right side ground clearance in the same way the MAC does.

Marving- https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/suzuki/...ystem_-_chrome
    higher price point, but the way that the headers stay flat and tucked up to the engine make the ground clearance/lean angle problem almost a non-issue. I am about ready to purchase this system, but I can't seem to figure out how it would fasten to the head? I have an inquiry with a british Ebay vendor of this system. The OEM gs1100e has two different types of header sealing systems... one for the cylinders 1&4 and a split collar style for cylinders 2&3. (OEM - https://www.suzukipartshouse.com/oem...b4eb76/muffler)

how would you fasten up that Marving system?
    i'd really like to make that one work, but I can't risk ordering it and then having to ship it back to the UK.
    I feel pretty confident that the Delkelvic will bolt up no problem. perhaps a relocation of a hanger tab or something...

thx
    C
    81 gs1100E
    81 gs550
    74 xlch 1000 custom
    03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
    76 honda cj360
    72 honda cl350
    2 green parrots

I have a Vance and Hines megaphone on my 750...and had one on my two 1100’s...better quality than the Mac...I have 30,000kms on mine and it looks like new!
    No signature

Comment

Have a look at the Hindle systems.
      A couple members here have used them.
      Ripple Rock Racers manufactures custom performance motorcycle exhausts and aluminum billet triples. More horsepower, less weight. For those that are serious about racing.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by CincinnatiKid View Post
        Delkelvic - ... ought to bolt right up to a gs1100, even though it's spec'd for a gs750. has the same style header collars as the MAC to bolt up to the exhaust manifold.
        I don't know the specifics of the 16-valve 750, but the 8-valve 750s and the 850s share most dimensions. The exhaust collar spacing on the 850 is a bit narrower than the (8-valve) 1000, which probably shares dimensions with the 1100. If the holes in the collars are sufficiently elongated, it might work, but stock exhaust systems do not interchange between the 850 and 1000.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

unnamed2.jpg

so here's the answer, for posterity.

thank you to Steve Murdoch for that link. I think I will go with that RRR system. I much prefer a stainless steel system to a chrome system.
          I really liked the look of the straight muffler on the Marving system, but from what I read, using a megaphone helps taper off the "peakiness" of any negative pressure waves traveling back up the exhaust pipe, when compared to a straight shot muffler.
          81 gs1100E
          81 gs550
          74 xlch 1000 custom
          03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
          76 honda cj360
          72 honda cl350
          2 green parrots

Comment

bought the stainless exhaust. thanks.
            81 gs1100E
            81 gs550
            74 xlch 1000 custom
            03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
            76 honda cj360
            72 honda cl350
            2 green parrots

Comment

When you do get the exhaust system can you do a follow-up on ease of installation, quality and maybe even a seat of the pants performance review.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I think that can be arranged.
                81 gs1100E
                81 gs550
                74 xlch 1000 custom
                03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
                76 honda cj360
                72 honda cl350
                2 green parrots

Comment

I return.

it's been a minute, lots has happened with the bike and life and other bikes and such. but here's the report:

OVERALL: very happy with my purchase. the difference between my two specific systems is dramatic. my old one was a piece of G A R B A G E and the new one is a supermodel. The fit and finish of the new Hindle exhaust is second to none. I'm glad I went with the stainless steel. Not a huge fan of chrome in general, and I was very surprised to see the stainless steel become a golden color once exposed to exhaust heat. I've got gold trim on the wheels of the bike so it works extra well.

INSTALLATION: very straightforward. all parts included, no modifications necessary in my situation. I did need to source new gaskets. allen head bolts secure 4 flanges to the head. then 4 headers slip onto the flanges, then a collector 4->2, then another collector 2->1, then a bent pipe, then the muffler. I went for the short shot reverse megaphone tip. they provide a little handmade spring stretcher hook tool. very nice little detail that made installation that much easier.
                  - a note: I installed the pipes dry, but a local race shop in the Chicago suburbs recommended that, even with stainless, you use some silicone exhaust sealer on all the joints. primarily to help seal up any/all leaks, but also to help make sure that you can disassemble the parts when you need to.

POWER: to be honest, I can't really tell a difference. I ride the bike around the city of Chicago, sometimes on the interstate. For the most part, I don't need to rip past 1/3 throttle.... so if the pipe has advantages on the top end, I dont know if i'll ever notice them. haven't had a chance to take it on the track yet. that's in 2 weeks. To be sure, there is plenty of power. the bike/engine is super responsive and will jump when you say jump.

STYLING: couldn't be happier. I love looking at it, and it really makes the bike look like a piece of art, if you ask me. I love walking up to it, and seeing that it's just a big ass gas tank on top of a giant, prominently displayed, clean motor that looks like it can scream. maybe i'm partial.....?

Price: it was just under 600 USD shipped. pricey, but, fingers crossed, i'll have it for a very long time.

IMAGES
                  before, and old exhaust removed:

And the new hottness:

rip it
                  81 gs1100E
                  81 gs550
                  74 xlch 1000 custom
                  03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
                  76 honda cj360
                  72 honda cl350
                  2 green parrots

Comment

Sweet pipe, Cincinnati.
                    I have seen and heard the some model on a couple Hondas and they sound great.
                    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                    X