Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS850G Tank Removal

Howdy all.
    What's the best way to remove the tank from my 79 GS850G and not spill fuel all over? Looking at the fuel tank removal and installation section in my manual it says, "On models equipped with a handle on the fuel valve, place the valve in the off position." I don't see a handle anywhere down there. The bike has an aftermarket pet cock with the usual settings, reserve, fuel and prime, identical to stock from what I can tell. Some step by step advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by RustyTank; 06-10-2019, 01:55 AM.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

I assume same as the 80 850G I had.
    And same as 82 1100G, exept differnt bolts that hold seat in place.

- Is easier to do this with the tank near empty, but can also do it with it full, is just heavery and a harder to handle.
    - open seat (or maybe remove it entirely.
    - take out the one bolt at back of tank. Carefull to catch other washer and rubber spacer. (82 and after there are two sets of bolt-washer-rubber spacer).
    - prop up back side of tank a little to give you more finger room around the petcock and fuel sender wiring.
    - disconnect fuel gauge sender wires. Carefull to pull on the connectors not the wires.
    - Petcock not in PRIme postion. Preferably the "REServe" position, or can leave in "ON" (more on that later).
    - use screw driver and or plyers to pull off the vaccum line and the fuel line from the petcock.
    - prepare a place to set the tank after get it off the bike. Maybe have a short 2x4 or something handy, or a short tin can or something (explained later).
    - lift up on back of tank a bit more, also grab up by front (is barley enough room to get fingers between the tank and steering neck). Pull back mostly and up just a little so the tank to clear the mounting post in front. Lift tank up higher to pull the drain line out from the bike.
    - Set tank back down in the place you prepared. Maybe set the one edge on something to keep the petcock from having to hold up the tank, especially if in the "ON" position.
    - Go back to bike and remove the rubber spacer from the front mounting post (else they will fall off when not looking and roll away the strangest place so never find them) and put them with the other parts.
    - I also like to cover tank with a towel or two, just in case drop some part or tool on it.

After you do this a couple times, it will be a routine part of many other jobs, can do it in a few minutes.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
      I assume same as the 80 850G I had.
      And same as 82 1100G, exept differnt bolts that hold seat in place.

- Is easier to do this with the tank near empty, but can also do it with it full, is just heavery and a harder to handle.
      - open seat (or maybe remove it entirely.
      - take out the one bolt at back of tank. Carefull to catch other washer and rubber spacer. (82 and after there are two sets of bolt-washer-rubber spacer).
      - prop up back side of tank a little to give you more finger room around the petcock and fuel sender wiring.
      - disconnect fuel gauge sender wires. Carefull to pull on the connectors not the wires.
      - Petcock not in PRIme postion. Preferably the "REServe" position, or can leave in "ON" (more on that later).
      - use screw driver and or plyers to pull off the vaccum line and the fuel line from the petcock.
      - prepare a place to set the tank after get it off the bike. Maybe have a short 2x4 or something handy, or a short tin can or something (explained later).
      - lift up on back of tank a bit more, also grab up by front (is barley enough room to get fingers between the tank and steering neck). Pull back mostly and up just a little so the tank to clear the mounting post in front. Lift tank up higher to pull the drain line out from the bike.
      - Set tank back down in the place you prepared. Maybe set the one edge on something to keep the petcock from having to hold up the tank, especially if in the "ON" position.
      - Go back to bike and remove the rubber spacer from the front mounting post (else they will fall off when not looking and roll away the strangest place so never find them) and put them with the other parts.
      - I also like to cover tank with a towel or two, just in case drop some part or tool on it.

After you do this a couple times, it will be a routine part of many other jobs, can do it in a few minutes.
      Excellent breakdown Redman. Thanks so much. I truly was under the impression that if I unhooked the fuel line on ANY of the settings, even REServe or ON that fuel would dump out. I'll give this a shot this week.
      Ryan

Comment

You may have a little gas dribble out of the hose after disconnecting it from the petcock. I usually just have a rag handy for the drips.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Thanks folks. I took the tank off today with zero issues
          Ryan

Comment

Working...
          X