Stutter at WOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stutter at WOT

I've just put the carbs back on recently and and running the bike around the neighborhood and it's performing admirably. Took it out on the highway for a more extended run today, and while it's fine overall, I tried really hitting the gas more than I typically due to see how it responded. I'm getting a bit of a stuttering effect, almost lurching when exceeding 7K RPM, ballpark or in that neighborhood anyway. I know there's probably no one answer, but what are some initial things to look for or usual suspects. Also, when I park the bike, I can see some liquid on the edge of the gang plate joining the carbs. It's darker than fuel, suspect maybe some oil mixing in with gasoline and getting outside of the carbs somehow.

Also, I suspect I've routed the fuel line from the petcock to the t-junction on the carburetors wrong, don't know how problematic that might be but take a look, it does touch the top of the first carb

0621191445.jpg
    1982 GS1100EZ

Brownish liquid0621191443.jpg
    1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Help us out by putting your bike model/year in your signature ..this is the 1982 gs1100e,right??
      did you overfill crankcase? Is the camchain tensioner gasket leaking?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Intake/exhaust modified? Carbs re-jetted to account for that?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

The oil was just changed and it's at the full line, possibly a tiny bit above as I'm not 100% sure I'm on true level, but still some are visible through the side Glass. So if it is over full, it would only be by a small amount.

The bike has a 4 into 1 Supertrapp. Still has a stock air box. I don't think there was any rejetting done, but I'm checking with the previous owner to confirm that.

Cam chain tensioner gasket sure looks like it's seeping

Correct it's the 82 GS 1100 E

0621191817.jpg
          1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Will start with draining off <200cc oil tomorrow morning, so oil level is solidly in the middle of the sight glass
            Last edited by the schwartz; 06-21-2019, 11:39 PM.
            1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

[QUOTE=the schwartz;2549842]

The bike has a 4 into 1 Supertrapp. Still has a stock air box. I don't think there was any rejetting done... [QUOTE]

Some of those 4-into-1's come with instructions to make no other changes to the intake other than to simply remove the air box cover.
              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

That's about the RPM range where mine would stutter, turned out I was too rich at the time. There is also a possibility that if the fuel line is too long and not the right type it can kink in the tight space from the tank to the fuel "T" if not routed properly.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I'd be looking at the plug leads and caps. If you've got a suspect cap, under load at wot, it'll break down.

Comment

As to the oil, did you lube the cable before it showed up? Used the motor oil and plastic bag method to lube mine which lead to me discovering oil on the idle speed knob then figuring out where it came from.
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Working...
                    X