Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am baffled on throttle/Carb issue

Hello all
    I have a 82 Kat 1000sz . When motor is off my throttle snaps back beautiful. When steering head is turned both right and left it is flawless in its function as well . My issue becomes when the bike is started . When idldling , running disown the road . It is then and only then that the throttle seems to have a mind of its own. It no longer snaps back on its own .even when I manually return the throttle it’s response is sluggish. I shut the motor down and wellah , the throttle function is perfect . What the heck am I missing?

Thank you , Ole Skool

Are you sure that it's actually the throttle hanging up & not an air leak causing a raised/hanging idle instead? (Where it's slow to return back to normal idle).

That would show exactly the symptoms you describe.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Will look for air leaks. Currently run pods. am I checking leading boots only which connect the carbs to motor ?

TY

Comment

Pods to carbs, carbs to boots, boot O'rings to head of engine....

What pods are you using? It makes a difference. Do you have a jet kit or some other kind of tuning? What you are describing sounds like a typical lean scenario to me which could easily be caused by tuning for the pods being incorrect as well as an air leak.

Has it ever run right in the past with these same components fitted?
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yes it has run correctly in the past . Bassani pipe , k&n pods . With jetted mukuni. I'd note today in limited time available when idle my no# 1 header cold . Shut down pulled plug wire and much spark from coil when turned over for inspection. Will look again after work. Found no leaks in boots. Thank u all for continued support.

Comment

Cracked plug wire? Spark is being lost against the head before it gets to the plug? You can usually see that at night if you run it & wiggle the leads around....

Your other issue still smells of a lean condition... (maybe your No 1 carb is plugged). Carbs cleaned recently?
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Will try to look for spark this week end as days run long. Carbs cleaned and bench synched nov. 2018. First ignition fired and problem was noted.

Comment

Working...
              X