• Time
  • Show
Clear All

20190724_110743.jpg

Side. There is a second hose.
    1980 GS550E

Comment

20190724_110818.jpg

Side again, second hose exposed (the tip is visible just above the plastic air intake, right near the frame).
      Last edited by ZombiePotatoSalad; 07-24-2019, 01:17 PM.
      1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Thanks for sharing that. That is one thing that might not be noticed in-person, and would REALLY not be noticed via the internet, so it's nice to know. Some of the more-knowledgeable people here might not always take the time to explain the details, but I try to explain, at least until my victim says "OK, I know that part".

And, a THANK YOU for the signature.
        Basic, simple, tells us what bike you are working on.

A few words of advice: some things, like fuel hoses, you will not find at the auto parts store. For example, the main fuel hose is a thin-wall, non-reinforced 7mm hose. Virtually everything you will find at Auto Zone will be in INCH sizes, as well as thick-walled and re-inforced to handle the pressures of fuel injection. If you look at the parts fiche, you will choke at some of the prices, but you have to keep in mind that the $10 for the fuel hose actually gets you a hose that is about six feet long. The breather hose also comes in a longer roll. The other hoses seem to come pre-cut, so their cost is just for that length. Expensive? Yes, but it's the right stuff, so it's worth it.

Alright, pictures are posted. What do you think? I found a second, shorter hose that runs to the rear of the carb (closer to the airbox than the engine). I also found a pipe similar to one on the petcock that's on the front of the carb (closer to the engine). And I am unable to turn the petcock selector to Prime. It stops moving just past Run.
        Last edited by ZombiePotatoSalad; 07-24-2019, 03:06 PM.
        1980 GS550E

Comment

You are missing your fuel and vacuum lines from the petcock to the carbs. That hose with the clamp definitely goes to the breather cover (you'll see the corresponding plug) on the top of the engine.

It looks like that entire engine has sat outside for decades and been subjected to major weathering. At the very least, pull your carbs off and properly disassemble and clean them per Nessism's tutorial on Basscliff's website - http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage...d_Tutorial.pdf

New vacuum hose from Parts Outlaw - HOSE (part number - 09355-45855-600) $8.38

New fuel line - HOSE, FUEL (L:250->140) (part number - 09352-70104-00B) $10.04
          Last edited by cowboyup3371; 07-24-2019, 06:38 PM.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
          X