Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I do with a ruined fuel sender on a '79 GS550L?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I do with a ruined fuel sender on a '79 GS550L?

I am diving into cleaning the tank. Doing the vinegar/nuts and bolts method. The varnish is pretty bad, I got so much grease and rush out of the tank, but will probably just run it by the radiator shop this week. I'm replacing the petcock with a new one, too.

My question is what to do with the fuel sender? It is in pretty bad shape. I could try and clean it to shiny new, and solder on a new wire for the internal portion (old one basically disintegrated), but it is hard to imagine it ever functioning properly. The fine coil of wire wrapped inside the unit is pretty chewed up. I'm thinking I should cut my losses and just leave it out. I could either fashion a plate to cover the hole, have the radiator guys weld it shut, or just grind off the bracket to remove the unit and use the old unit as a plate.

Want to hear all thoughts and opinions. Having a fuel gauge means nothing to me, it has a reserve, right? Also, the 550E of the same year doesn't have one...?

Here is a picture where you can see most of the stuff that came out of the tank. Also about a liter of "gas." The fuel sender is sitting in the left of the green tub, this was after picking/brushing a thick layer of crud from every surface. I cleaned the inside of the little contact case, it was solid black grease. Pretty wrecked.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by stares_at_flames; 08-10-2019, 09:05 PM.
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant.”
    — Mitchell Kapor

Remove all the (non) working parts and bolt the plate on to seal the hole. that way it will always be possible to replace the sender unit with a working set up should you, or a new owner wish to have a working fuel gauge again.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Next owner, I thought I'd learned nobody wanted an L!? Haha. I'm coming to terms with all the L hate I've read this week. I think my favorite was "if you cut an L, it doesn't feel pain." Eases the pressure of not doing things to "factory-restore."

Thanks for the input, I think that's the best route, too.
      “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant.”
      — Mitchell Kapor

Comment

I have a spare sending unit in an old tank, but it's not for an L. I looked at the parts fiche for your 550L and my 850, the only apparent difference is a bit more offset in the arm.

The part number for your sending unit apparently fits all the L models, except the 650.
        The part number for my sending unit only fits the 850G and 1000G.

I will send you a PM for some options.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X