Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb rebuild vs. cleaning

What exactly is the difference?

I know that a carb has to be somewhat disassembled for a proper cleaning so that all the rubber parts can be removed prior to dipping. If the jetting was already dialed in, the choke worked, etc., what more would be done in a rebuild beyond cleaning?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

For me, a rebuild means replacing parts. Either because they're broken (but then the carb wouldn't be labeled as working, would it) or that undergo or have undergone wear and tear (rubber stuff, maybe faded polish, etc). Somewhat similar to putting the assembly (or single parts) 'back to zero hours' in aviation.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

To me, carb cleaning means dipping in carb cleaner followed by using small wire to make sure all the passages are open, then spray carb cleaner through those passages followed by compressed air. New rubber parts from www.cycleorings.com and put it all back together.
      Don't forget the bench synch then synch with gauges after getting the bike back up and running.
      Larry

'79 GS 1000E
      '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
      '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
      '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
      '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

To me, "cleaning" is just that, removing the dirt and grime. Mostly from the outside. Yeah, you can take them apart and dip them to get the insides clean, too, but that is still cleaning.

"Rebuild" or "refurbish" is when you clean everything (inside and out) and replace items that tend to wear out in one way or another. This would include our usual replacement of o-rings and gaskets, then making the necessary adjustment to bring the newly-assembled carbs back to as close as practical to new operating condition.

I have seen some absolutely grungy-looking carbs that worked perfectly and I have seen some immaculate-looking carbs that had severe problems trying to run, so what is (or is NOT) on the inside (dirt, crud, grime) seems to be much more important.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          .................. a carb has to be somewhat disassembled for a proper cleaning so that all the rubber parts can be removed prior to dipping.....

To remove the rubber parts (O-rings) requires a complete disassembly. And that disassembly includes removing each carb from the rack, and each carb from each other. Other reason for a complete dissasembly, each carb from the others, is the carb dip bucket only holds one carb har har har

Other comment is that the "Rebuild kits" (~$70 x4) that you find in catalogs may include float needles and seats and such. WHich you typically dont need, well, unless there is heavy wear there.

What most carbs that are not running well need is a cleaning of the small passages and new o-rings. So you need o-rings (search for "Cycle ORings" ~$15 total) and probably new bowl gaskets and a bucket of carb dip.
          Last edited by Redman; 08-12-2019, 09:02 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Carb cleaning is what get when you pay $300.00 to your bike shop to do when your GS has carb issues....carb rebuild is what you do when you pull carbs off yourself, completely disassemble them and replace less than $50.00 worth of parts and your GS runs great when you are done.
            1980 Suzuki GS 1100LT
            16 Valve DOHC
            Original Owner

Comment

I would add that for a complete rebuild, replacement of the throttle shaft seals is needed. Which means detaching the throttle blades from the shafts and getting new throttle blade screws (since you have to file the staked ends off the original ones to get them out). I did this on my GS11E carbs and was glad I did. The originals seals were dry and cracked and certainly leaking.
              1982 GS1100EZ, second owner, 11,000 miles
              2000 XR650R, plated

Comment

Working...
              X