Jetting FYI on a 1980 GS1000E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jetting FYI on a 1980 GS1000E

Just got done doing pods, V&H 4into1 on a 1980 1000. K&N pods, V&H exhaust and set the valves to .07mm +/-, rebuilt carbs

155 jets on the center cylinders
    152.5 on the outer cylinders
    Two small washer shims on all 4 needles
    Starts and idles well with the A/F screws out about 2 1/2 turns on each carb
    Set idle around 1,300rpm when warm

What I got so far:
    Pulls very hard from 5,000rpm to redline (actually it pulls surprisingly hard)
    Topped out at 130mph according to the speedo, (I'll verify using a gps this weekend)
    17/52 sprockets
    Has some lag under 4.000rpm. This is probably because I have not opened up the vacuum ports on the needle slides.
    Spark plugs look good, nice cardboard color, not wet and far from white.

****I live in Denver Colorado****

I'm just trying to give a baseline to people. My settings are far from perfect, but I will continue until it is.

GS1000.jpg
    Last edited by winmag4582001; 09-06-2019, 08:10 AM.
    2016 Ducati 1299s
    1989 BMW K100RS
    1982 GS1100E-current build
    1980 GS1000E-sold
    1982 GS1100L-sold
    1982 CX500-sold

It's got the look. What's say we go for 135?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Where did you put the washers on the needles. Hope you realize that washers under the clip do nothing.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'm wondering about that 0.007mm valve clearance.

The minimum is 0.030mm.

I'm guessing there is either an extra zero or that's in inches, which would make the clearance too large.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Where did you put the washers on the needles. Hope you realize that washers under the clip do nothing.
          Shimmed needles up/higher.
          2016 Ducati 1299s
          1989 BMW K100RS
          1980 GS1000E-sold
          1982 GS1100L-sold
          1982 CX500-sold

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I'm wondering about that 0.007mm valve clearance.

The minimum is 0.030mm.

I'm guessing there is either an extra zero or that's in inches, which would make the clearance too large.

Correct, I got happy with the zeros. I’ll correct. The valves are on the high gap side.
            2016 Ducati 1299s
            1989 BMW K100RS
            1980 GS1000E-sold
            1982 GS1100L-sold
            1982 CX500-sold

Comment

Trust me gentlemen, I’m not claiming superior knowledge or skills.
              Just trying to let people know what I’m doing and the results.
              I did save the factory air box and jets. Just in case.
              2016 Ducati 1299s
              1989 BMW K100RS
              1980 GS1000E-sold
              1982 GS1100L-sold
              1982 CX500-sold

Comment

Originally posted by winmag4582001 View Post
                Shimmed needles up/higher.
                To lift the needle higher you need to reduce the thickness of the plastic spacer on top of the clip. Putting washers under the clip doesn't lift the needle. Check the rebuild tutorial linked in my signature for some photos of what I'm referring too as necessary.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

To lift the needle higher you need to reduce the thickness of the plastic spacer on top of the clip. Putting washers under the clip doesn't lift the needle. Check the rebuild tutorial linked in my signature for some photos of what I'm referring too as necessary.
                  Thank you! That means I definitely did it wrong then. Could be the cause of the sluggish mid/low range.

The needles in my carbs have the e-clip with a little spring on top and the assembly is held in by a plastic cap and snap ring. I just assumed by adding washers under the e-clip would raise them. I have a bunch of fully adjustable K56 needles laying around but they would not work with the carbs. Looks like I got a project this morning. LOL
                  Last edited by winmag4582001; 09-06-2019, 08:42 AM.
                  2016 Ducati 1299s
                  1989 BMW K100RS
                  1980 GS1000E-sold
                  1982 GS1100L-sold
                  1982 CX500-sold

Comment

Thank you! That means I definitely did it wrong then. Could be the cause of the sluggish mid/low range.

The needles in my carbs have the e-clip with a little spring on top and the assembly is held in by a plastic cap and snap ring. I just assumed by adding washers under the e-clip would raise them. I have a bunch of fully adjustable K56 needles laying around but they would not work with the carbs. Looks like I got a project this morning. LOL
                    Unless you have a special set of BS32's the spring goes under the clip, not on top. Again, check the carb rebuild tutorial linked in my signature, towards the back. That's where the info about the spacer and spring is at.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

Unless you have a special set of BS32's the spring goes under the clip, not on top. Again, check the carb rebuild tutorial linked in my signature, towards the back. That's where the info about the spacer and spring is at.
                      Awesome info! One of the PO’s obviously assembled it wrong. I should have checked that rather than assume it was correct. Thank you again!

******nevermind. I’m a moron. LOL
                      Last edited by winmag4582001; 09-06-2019, 12:46 PM.
                      2016 Ducati 1299s
                      1989 BMW K100RS
                      1980 GS1000E-sold
                      1982 GS1100L-sold
                      1982 CX500-sold

Comment

Awesome info! One of the PO’s obviously assembled it wrong. I should have checked that rather than assume it was correct. Thank you again!

******nevermind. I’m a moron. LOL
                        so, just finished raising the needles the proper way. Vastly improved midrange, but feels like I could definitely go some more. The factory little plastic donut on top of the needle measured 2.5mm, I took it to 1.3mm (raised). Thinking I’ll put it at 1mm and call it a day.

HUGE Thank You to NESSISM. This is exactly how forums work.
                        2016 Ducati 1299s
                        1989 BMW K100RS
                        1980 GS1000E-sold
                        1982 GS1100L-sold
                        1982 CX500-sold

Comment

Any hesitation you have is very unlikely to be due to not drilling the slides... I've tried it both ways & if jetted right it doesn't really make an appreciable difference.

Your settings sound somewhat similar to what I ran on my 1000G when I had pods on it. I have it written down somewhere I suspect. I'm fairly sure I ended up going up one size on the pilots, I'm at sea level though. I did not need to run different inner to outer jets.... I've heard of it but I've not met anyone that has had to go that route.

The Dynajet kit has some small air corrector bushes that are inserted into the carbs. One thing a lot of people may not know is the 1100E carbs (16v engine) have an air corrector bush approx the same size as the dynajet restrictor so can be a useful starting point. The restrictor is just a little brass push that you push into the hole with some loctite.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            Any hesitation you have is very unlikely to be due to not drilling the slides... I've tried it both ways & if jetted right it doesn't really make an appreciable difference.

Your settings sound somewhat similar to what I ran on my 1000G when I had pods on it. I have it written down somewhere I suspect. I'm fairly sure I ended up going up one size on the pilots, I'm at sea level though. I did not need to run different inner to outer jets.... I've heard of it but I've not met anyone that has had to go that route.

The Dynajet kit has some small air corrector bushes that are inserted into the carbs. One thing a lot of people may not know is the 1100E carbs (16v engine) have an air corrector bush approx the same size as the dynajet restrictor so can be a useful starting point. The restrictor is just a little brass push that you push into the hole with some loctite.

Guess I'm not following.... A insert that you push into the port for the diaphragm or insert for the carb throat?

I should also note that the speedometer is way off. I changed gears from the factory ratio of 18/50 to 17/52 (530 chain) so my estimate of 130mph the other day is NOT true. Looks like the speedo is at least 15mph off. In 5th gear at 7800rpm the speedo was bouncing from 125-130 so I just estimated on the high side, not considering the gears. Sorry.
                            Last edited by winmag4582001; 09-06-2019, 05:33 PM.
                            2016 Ducati 1299s
                            1989 BMW K100RS
                            1980 GS1000E-sold
                            1982 GS1100L-sold
                            1982 CX500-sold

Comment

I should also note that the speedometer is way off. I changed gears from the factory ratio of 18/50 to 17/52 (530 chain) so my estimate of 130mph the other day is NOT true. Looks like the speedo is at least 15mph off. In 5th gear at 7800rpm the speedo was bouncing from 125-130 so I just estimated on the high side, not considering the gears. Sorry.
                              You can change the sprocket ratios to ANYTHING you want, it won't affect the speedo reading.

Your speedometer gets information from the front tire. Only three things might affect accuracy. 1. Improper size tire. Your best results will be with a 100/90-19. 2. Improper drive gear at the axle. Most GSes have a 19" front tire, and will have the same ratio. A few models had an 18" tire, a couple more models had a 16" tire. Use of any of those would slow down the speedo, not make it read faster. 3. The speedo unit itself. If it's a stock unit, it should not be a problem. However, if an aftermarket unit has been installed, there is no telling whether a correct ratio unit was installed. A speedo should not bounce. Try lubing the cable. If that does not help the bounce, you might have to open up the speedo so you can clean and lube it.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X