I think I found the problem... it's the petcock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I found the problem... it's the petcock

Exactly what it says on the tin. Either a contributing factor, or the cause to it not starting. Earlier, I tried to start my bike. No joy. Then I pulled the fuel line from the petcock and tried again. It started right up and ran with what fuel was in the carburetor. Hooked up the fuel line again, and it refused to turn over.
    1980 GS550E

You sure that you got fuel hose from petcock on correct fitting?image.jpg
    Last edited by tom203; 10-01-2019, 04:03 PM.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes I do. I just put everything back together. I took a picture of the carburetor before I took it apart the first time, so I have a comparison.
      1980 GS550E

Comment

Originally posted by ZombiePotatoSalad View Post
        ...........................Hooked up the fuel line again, and it refused to turn over.
        Define "turn over".

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          Define "turn over".
          "Turn over" as in pull an immediate 180 in defiance of physics. This is normally supposed to happen, but if the Helsinki smash rods are damaged, forget about it.
          Lol I mean "turn over" as in start. It'll crank, but not catch and run.
          1980 GS550E

Comment

Crank it over abit, and then remove a couple of spark plugs and inspect....dry? Wet?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If it's a vacuum petcock then I've suffered your pain before. I'd be riding down the road with a full tank and it would start to die, I'd switch to prime and it would run all day. Pulled that petcock and found it broken inside. Replaced with the same style and same thing. This was a cheap replacement. My learning experience.
              So, I swapped petcocks to an old style.

And it's "crank, no start"
              When one says "wont turn over" most guru's think electrical, not fuel. Or, you have a lazy dog...
              Current:
              1993 ZX11 - 2nd build in progress
              1977 GS750 (710 is getting closer)
              1998 Kawasaki Voyager - selling
              1998 Chevy C2500
              1999 Rav4

Comment

Working...
              X