81 GS650G air intake removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS650G air intake removal

Try as I might (new plugs / carbs drained / fresh gas / new battery) my 81 650G won't fire. Spark is good (have tested all 4) but she just won't fire. Just turns over. There's a slight amount of fuel (after cranking it for 30 seconds) in the air breather (filter) but I'm of the mind that my carbs must be gunked up.

Question is...how do I get the intake unit off? It's the large, black plastic unit. I see the 850 has 2 bolts on the top but mine has none. Otherwise, getting the carbs out seems like a nightmare.

Any other possible work-arounds?

many thanks

That intake is secured to the filter box, which in turn is held by one bolt on each of the left and right frame.

Typing in my phone so I hope that makes sense

That's just the start. The joys of hard carb boots make removal an arduous procedure involving plenty of choice words, scraped knuckles, and repeated questioning of necessity of their removal.

Sometimes removing the air filter box and bolts will allow one to push the filter box back just far enough to get the air plenum off.
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

That airbox on the 650 is different than all other GSes. (there are a few things unique to the 650s).

SO when folks here give advise, will need to determine if there expereince is specific to the 650.

I dont recall the specifics of the 650 I had (82 thru 2005?6?) because I didnt have to work on it much. So I cant help you, other than to say some things are different that all other GS, and the airbox is one of them.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

"Try as I might (new plugs / carbs drained / fresh gas / new battery) my 81 650G won't fire. "

Sadly this stuff won't help much until the carbs are properly cleaned. Removal is no fun...you need to slide airbox and airfilter box back so airbox pops out of carbs mouths. 1/2 inch is a big deal here so relocate stuff that prevents airfilter box from rearward motion. Take pics to aid in reinstalling stuff later.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

thanks folks. Yes, the 650G has a very unique air filter setup and it's hideous (in appearance and location).

I'll try the above advice and will report back. The beauty is so close....I can feel it.

Comment

What IS commom to all other GSes is that carb cleaning needs to be more than just spraying around some carb cleaner.
            Carbs need to be completly broke down, and each dipped in carb dip solution for 24 hours, ..... see the carb cleaning series, back on the homepage of the website (not the forum, the website).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

The only 650 I have had the "pleasure" of working on had pods, not a stock air filter, so I don't have direct experience.
              However, there is one other tip that works on the 550, might help on the 650, too.

The front half of the rear fender is plastic and snaps into grommets in the frame, much like the side covers. Pop those fasteners loose, slide the fender back. It will only go about 1/2", but that might be what you need to get the air filter housing to slide back far enough to move the air plenum out of the way.

When you are done, don't forget to snap the fender back in place.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have just finished up putting my GS650G 82 back together and it appears to have the same configuration as the 81 for the air box and intake air box. As per the link below bolts 14 and 16 as well as two the large band number 10 when loosened will free up the air intake plenum. Once this is done it should move back quite easy. There maybe two more bolts on the bottom of the airbox. They aren't shown in the illustration but they're in the two slots you see near the number 11. Popping the carbs off the manifolds into the engine take a bit of work. I often use a wooden handle of a hammer to help leverage them off.

A proper cleaning of the carbs with a near full disassembly is the way to go. A bit of a learning curve but there's a ton of videos and documents here and on YouTube.
                GS550T 1981
                GS850G 1983
                GS650G 1982
                GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

I had a similar problem with my 11E. I used a special tool. It's called a dremel.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

When someone asks to borrow my Dremel, I hand them my engraving tool. It's a Dremel.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X