rs flat slide carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rs flat slide carbs

Hi peeps, anyone fitted these to a gsx 1100 e 1980 ? What size is needed for a standard engine, 34, 36, 38 ? Any major problems mounting them, is it possible to retain some of the original air box and cut off the front for the filters. How difficult are they to tune to the bike, are they worth the money ? Not looking for extra performance, just a reliable bike that runs well, giving up trying to fix the original carbs. Any information most welcome, many thanks.

I have never done it, but I would guess that if you are not looking for extra performance, it would not be worth whatever it takes.

Unless the original carbs have been sitting on the bottom of a river for a while, it shouldn't be that hard to "fix" them. With a stock engine, they should work quite nicely.

What is wrong, that you are trying to fix?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you're looking for new carbs for normal riding, use the 34mm. That said, you're on your own for tuning because those carbs are designed and intended for racing and custom tuning.
      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
      1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
      1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
      1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
        If you're looking for new carbs for normal riding, use the 34mm. That said, you're on your own for tuning because those carbs are designed and intended for racing and custom tuning.
        They're easy to tune. If you get them pre-jetted from Sudco, they will be very close to dead right. It's always more pleasant working on new unworn instruments.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
          They're easy to tune. If you get them pre-jetted from Sudco, they will be very close to dead right. It's always more pleasant working on new unworn instruments.
          I agree with new is better, but part of tuning is air filter style. So Slideplayer will have to test for the best tuning for his air filters and exhaust system. Maybe a chart will come with the carbs.

If I had the money, I'd buy a new RS set for my track bike.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Hi peeps, the problem with the original carbs is the pilot fuel adjustment screws don't do much, from almost screwed right in to 5 turns out, the motor runs rather fluffy not running crisply and evenly. The pilot jet slots are not good, so trying to get them out could be bad news, but the carbs have been cleaned 5 or 6 times ultrasonically and manually. The other problem is the bike stalls around 4 to 5 thousand revs, closing the throttle brings the engine back to life, and runs normally at around 4 thousand. Plugs are black coloured. Main jets are standard size, new diaphragms, any ideas most welcome, many thanks.

Comment

Can't have an opinion without examining carbs and all components.
              I'd suggest sending them to a CV carb builder, if you can find one in Europe.
              We have a few on site here, but US based.

Last fall I spent weeks tuning and testing the carbs in my track bike. Continued again this spring into summer.
              Got the idle circuit set first with a Gunson Colortune, plus carbs synchronized.
              Wanted to be sure I was getting full power potential from 9000 to 12,000 RPM so:
              Tried a step bigger jets but that was too much, went back to standard size.
              Tried a higher flow air filter, degraded performance so went back to standard.
              Plugs continued to blacken and foul.
              Final trick that worked was lowering the needles one slot. That's an adjustment to lean out the midrange RPMs.
              Bike's had such good consistent performance since, I haven't taken the tank off to examined the plugs.
              Hope this story helps.
              Carbs have 3 tuning zones: Idle circuit up to 3000 RPM, Needle height through Midrange, Main jet size for Wide open top end.
              CV carbs run best overall with OEM airbox, pod filters only good for wide open top end.
              Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 10-27-2019, 08:37 AM.

Comment

There are several ports for the pilot system.... only one is on the engine side of the throttle plate. If this one’s clogged, I’ve seen people compensate by opening the throttle plate more to allow the others to come into play. It’sa bandaid fix and you will never get it to run right. Not sure if this is your problem, but something to consider. Did you disassemble carbs 100% to clean them? Soak overnight? Adjustable clips on the needles? Which notch? All air jets clear? Did you remove the needle jets and make sure the emulsion holes are clear? Is the enrichment (choke) dystem closing all the way? Sealing up?
                Not sure how thoroughly you cleaned them, but unless they were highly corroded, they’re likely repairable.
                -1980 GS1100 LT
                -1975 Honda cb750K
                -1972 Honda cl175
                - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Hi peeps, thanks for all your replies, yes carbs completely stripped many times before cleaning, rebuilt as per standard specs, float height correct, needle middle notch, emulsion tubes perfectly clean, new float valves and seats, new diaphragms, head to carb rubbers, and still won't run properly. Is suicide really painless ????????? Perhaps those tiny holes in the throat are still blocked, but how to clear them for good slow running ? Will drop the needle a notch to try and overcome the 4 / 5 grand present rev limit, but those little holes have been ultrasonically cleaned professionally several times, is it possible to clear them with a guitar string, how about battery acid, or a very small rodent ? Nice bike, shame about the carbs.

Comment

I use guitar strings to poke out the jets, works good. Check with high power magnifier, crud builds up in there…

Comment

You do have the rubber plugs over the pilot jets... right? Not trying to be insulting, but you wouldn’t be the first.
                      -1980 GS1100 LT
                      -1975 Honda cb750K
                      -1972 Honda cl175
                      - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

While there is a lot to be said in favor of ultrasonic cleaning, I don't know how well it works to get into the small passges that comprise the pilot fuel system.

Do you have proper chemicals available? We have carb cleaner dip that we use to soak the carb bodies in overnight. The directions on the can say to dip the parts for 15-30 minutes, but they were probably written many years ago, when the chemicals inside the can could actually do the task in that amount of time. Over the years, the Environmentalists and other Safety Weenies have weakened the chemical so we have to dip the carbs for 15-30 HOURS to get the job done. Even after sitting in the dip all that time, it still takes a good shot of carb cleaner spray and a blast of compressed air to verify that all the passages are clear.

If you do have chemicals available, feel free to try them, but whatever you do, DO NOT immerse any of the rubber parts, like diaphragms, "choke" plungers, etc.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                        X