slip-ons 1980 gs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slip-ons 1980 gs850

My exhaust is toast at the mufflers. what kind of slip-ons work best.
    1980 GS850
    1977 CB550
    1977 CB750
    1875 GL1000
    1980 XS1100

I bought Mac slip on mufflers that are pretty close to the original. They came with a sliding bracket but I had to McGuiver the original mount a bit to get it to fit. The ends of the cans were not dimpled to accomodate the axle nuts so they are very close to them. Some folks here do not like Mac, but I have not had any problems with them. They don't seem to get as hot as the original ones that were on the bike. One thing I like about them is that the end caps are removable. I had to use a muffler sleeve to fit them as well as a packing donut. These should be available at any auto supply parts store.

Comment

Thanks. How about using take-offs from a Harley?
      1980 GS850
      1977 CB550
      1977 CB750
      1875 GL1000
      1980 XS1100

Comment

Do a search for "Harley and mufflers" and you will find many on the subject.
        They are relatively cheap and plentiful.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Phred View Post
          The ends of the cans were not dimpled to accomodate the axle nuts so they are very close to them.
          When I installed the V&H SS system, I had to reverse the rear axle.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
            Thanks. How about using take-offs from a Harley?
            I used a pair of Dyna FLXHCRXYCRBRSGRGAETSTEREST mufflers on my XJ9.
            They work great, but needed a bit of fettling. On their native bike they are matched to their respective cylinders, by the baffle plates within them being at different positions. I had to remove those and set both of them the same, using a temporary setup of washers on a threaded rod, to see where the best compromise for free-flow and noise was.
            I ended up with a free pair of mufflers that sound reasonably good, and are not annoyingly noisy.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
            X