Lubing throttle cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
    Thankfully, nylon lined cables didn't seem to stick around too long and teflon lined ones became more available.
    You might have a few years on me (I hear you guys 'across the pond' age pretty well). I started street riding in 1975, and I'm not sure I remember nylon.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Most, around our local shop, never wanted wetness inside the cables. Oil or grease would collect dirt & grit & make a gummy paste inside the cables, thus the graphite lubricant, "Cable Lube". I Saw this Dry Lube stuff in a earlier post & figured the reasons were still viable. nothing wet inside the cable to cause goo.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        Most, around our local shop, never wanted wetness inside the cables. Oil or grease would collect dirt & grit & make a gummy paste inside the cables, thus the graphite lubricant, "Cable Lube". I Saw this Dry Lube stuff in a earlier post & figured the reasons were still viable. nothing wet inside the cable to cause goo.
        Sounds logical to me, but hey, I am a two-time grad school dropout. Facts: of all my cousins and siblings, I am the only one without a grad degree. Of all my cousins and siblings, besides me there is only one other who is not either a doctor or a lawyer..

I know that sounds snooty, IS snooty. But it's true. And that only other one besides me not a doc or attorney? An actuary, quite an esteemed and accomplished actuary. And, apologies in advance, no offense to a newer member who I know puts me to shame as a motorcycle mechanic or anyone else, my cousin the actuary (published, award-winning, etc.)? Borderline autistic, at the very least. What does that say about me?

NG. 86. It practically says, "Blacksheep" on my birth certificate. So when the Highway Patrol pulls up next to me speeding, and shouts out his window, "You're going to kill yourself," I might be thinking, "This motorcycle (and my other one) are all I have to live for."

And you guys.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
        X