MAC 4-1 megaphone exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAC 4-1 megaphone exhaust

anyone here have experience with this exhaust system? i saw something that theyre not easy ones to tune is that true, and how is the mechanical quality, are they a sturdy set to run? im not looking for the best (V&H) but i dont want something garbage.

is there a preference to run an airbox or pods with an exhaust, or is there reasons youd run one or the other, id be using this as a daily rider so im guessing the airbox is the best but what are your guys opinions?

also does anyone have experience with moxi pods (hehe) its just some chinese airpods but i was wondering if anyone has thoughts on them too, just trying to gather information on these products for the near future
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

For pods I would go with APEs; the looks and performance of K&N at half the price.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

It's not that much more to get the way better V&H.....never heard anything good about Mac
      No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
        It's not that much more to get the way better V&H.....never heard anything good about Mac
        id be doing the mac since i can pay monthly (probably would pay off early) if i can find a v&h i can do that with ill be getting that instead
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Unfortunately, the V & H website no longer lists systems for the GS650G/GL. Evenything for 750 and up still available. From what I could find, MAC is the only game still going for the 650 models. Maybe a decent used set will appear in time.
          1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by hank2 View Post
            Unfortunately, the V & H website no longer lists systems for the GS650G/GL. Evenything for 750 and up still available. From what I could find, MAC is the only game still going for the 650 models. Maybe a decent used set will appear in time.
            yeah thats what i ended up finding out, i actually like the sound of the mac exhaust so im okay with it, heard that the chrome isnt the best but im gonna give it a try.
            just gonna be doing this one with the airbox and exhaust gonna be a daily rider with some kick.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Leave the stock airbox and filter on the bike and you won't have to change the jetting in the carbs with the MAC exhaust.
              The top section of the headers will turn blue in short order regardless of the jetting.

What shape are your headers in?
              A local car muffler shop might be able to cheaply fab up some sleeves to connect them.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

My 1100e came to me with a Mac system with a canister type of muffler. It was rusty, but held up fine for the several years I owned it. The one I had also allowed the centerstand to stay, and easy oil filter / drain plug access.
                This was back in the early 90s, so todays systems may be of a different quality.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                  My 1100e came to me with a Mac system with a canister type of muffler. It was rusty, but held up fine for the several years I owned it. The one I had also allowed the centerstand to stay, and easy oil filter / drain plug access.
                  This was back in the early 90s, so todays systems may be of a different quality.
                  it actually said it gives easy access to those things on the advertisement, so hopefully the only changes over the years have been better quality
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                    Leave the stock airbox and filter on the bike and you won't have to change the jetting in the carbs with the MAC exhaust.
                    The top section of the headers will turn blue in short order regardless of the jetting.

What shape are your headers in?
                    A local car muffler shop might be able to cheaply fab up some sleeves to connect them.
                    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1981-Suzuki...temCondition=4
                    id say great shape other than no baffles and some dings on them, and rust spots on the headers. i think im gonna just get the exhaust system because im young and love having something that sounds badass. ill probably get them fabricated eventually and throw them on another bike/ sell them. thanks for the suggestion though i probably will have to buy a pair of the mufflers to do them right.

i like how ebay gets you with the shipping cost the product always ends up being double the price after shipping, it may be $15 for them but then the shipping is $60 lol... a cheap bike in most cases doesnt end up being cheap.
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                      ... a cheap bike in most cases doesnt end up being cheap.
                      Truer words were never spoken
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                        ... im young and love having something that sounds badass. ...
                        Why doesn't anybody like (or want) anything that's GOODass?

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                          Why doesn't anybody like (or want) anything that's GOODass?
                          i mean it should be a good exhaust right lol
                          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

My motto is this: even a dog knows not to shyte where he eats and sleeps. We've all been in our early twenties, and when I was I rode a 900 Kaw with a wide-open 4-into-1.

Coast home late at night with the engine off, and no warm ups: idle away with no throttle. At that age it can be fun to set off car alarms as you pass by, but not on your own block. The good neighbor policy.
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                              My motto is this: even a dog knows not to shyte where he eats and sleeps. We've all been in our early twenties, and when I was I rode a 900 Kaw with a wide-open 4-into-1.

Coast home late at night with the engine off, and no warm ups: idle away with no throttle. At that age it can be fun to set off car alarms as you pass by, but not on your own block. The good neighbor policy.

my buddy had a straight piped 81 virago 750 as his first bike with the idle turned down and it was definitely a neighbor hater but it sounded like thunder thing was badass couldnt not hear it.
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                              X