No announcement yet.

1981 GS550 Wont rev above 6-7k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your petcock screen is borked and allowing crud to get through to the carbs then the needle won't seat right to regulate the fuel level. Checking the petcock, replacing old lines and cleaning out the tank are something you should be doing right now.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
      If your petcock screen is borked and allowing crud to get through to the carbs then the needle won't seat right to regulate the fuel level. Checking the petcock, replacing old lines and cleaning out the tank are something you should be doing right now.
      i agree with him would you want a heart running with contaminated blood
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
        I’ve just went through the carbs again and cleaned them. I’ve not had any experience with these carbs prior and I believe there is supposed to be a plug in the pilot jet upon further research, which these carbs don’t have any. So is it possible that could be my issue and someone had removed them in the past and forgot to put them in?
        Attached Files

Comment

YES, those little rubber plugs have got to be there. Will start & run without them, but nothing under load will be right.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
            YES, those little rubber plugs have got to be there. Will start & run without them, but nothing under load will be right.
            Good stuff, already have them on order and cleaned carbs thoroughly as everyone else has said to do.
            I’ve never seen anything like it on any of the other carbs I’ve ever worked on, odd that they need to be blocked off haha.
            Last edited by Guest; 12-08-2019, 07:01 PM.

Comment

It worked. She finally runs decently alright, its breaking up a tad but I think thats due to incorrect float level. Thank you everyone for the help!

Comment

Working...
              X