heat wrapping headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heat wrapping headers

was wondering if theres any effect from heatwrapping ur exhaust headers that would change how ur bike acts, i feel like it doesnt but i guess im just making sure. since MAC exhaust finish quality isnt good im gonna heatwrap the headers and leave the muffler alone but get a black exhaust so it looks better.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

It will act OK at first, but when the trapped moisture rusts out the metal in the pipes, the wrapping doesn't do a very good job of channeling the exhaust from the head to the muffler.

Not the mention that the whole time the wrap is on there, the bike looks like crap, but that's mainly a personal opinion.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      It will act OK at first, but when the trapped moisture rusts out the metal in the pipes, the wrapping doesn't do a very good job of channeling the exhaust from the head to the muffler.

Not the mention that the whole time the wrap is on there, the bike looks like crap, but that's mainly a personal opinion.

i saw a comment about that and then somebody said it needs to be coated with high temp silicone spray its called "1-Shot slinger DEI Hi-Temp Silicone Coating" im gonna research more to see if u can keep the moisture out, i think the heat wrap will look better than burnt black headers lol
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Exactly. Even if it looks okay the first day, that wrap is going to unravel. And the color? Same as rust.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Unless they have changed their info even MAC does not recommend wrapping their exhaust.
          I would contact them directly about your wrap and jetting concerns.
          KOITOTO sebagai Bandar Toto Macau terbesar dan terpercaya di Indonesia menjadi rekomendasi permainan terbaik yang tidak akan pernah bikin anda merasa kecewa.
          2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Do you have access to an oven big enough to fit the exhaust in? I've seen black stove pipe paint hold up well when it's baked between coats. Shoot a light coat on and let each coat dry so you don't trap fumes inside. Set the oven to it's highest temperature and bake each coat about 20-30 minutes, be sure to crack it open a bit every few minutes to let the fumes escape. Lightly sand between each coat to give the next coat something to bite into. Four or five coats should do it and will look better and last longer than applying it cold.
            1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
            1982 GS450txz (former bike)
            LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Most modern exhaust pipes don't care, as they're stainless steel. Had to re-wrap the ones on my Guzzi, pipes were absolutely fine, a bit discolored at most, but that's it. First wrap was on there for ~9'000km and has seen both pouring rain in Switzerland and scorching hot days in Italy, second wrap had an easier life, third one is still on. They don't unravel on their own, it was always caused by my own stupidity (falling over...ugh, don't ask).

Old pipes however do not appreciate wrap, from what I've read on the web so far.

People say there's a slight performance benefit (not sure what to think of that, and wether it's measurable at all...). The engine _will_ run hotter in any case.
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

When I see wrapped pipes I expect the pipes are rusted away underneath, whether they are or aren't . the Bike has lost a lot of value in my eyes.

Might be ok as a temporary fix to hold on a funky patch over a hole though.

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                  Do you have access to an oven big enough to fit the exhaust in? I've seen black stove pipe paint hold up well when it's baked between coats. Shoot a light coat on and let each coat dry so you don't trap fumes inside. Set the oven to it's highest temperature and bake each coat about 20-30 minutes, be sure to crack it open a bit every few minutes to let the fumes escape. Lightly sand between each coat to give the next coat something to bite into. Four or five coats should do it and will look better and last longer than applying it cold.

my mom would kill me lmao
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

Heat wrapping on racing motorbikes used to be a thing in the old days, it creates increased airflow to lower the operating temperature in the head and gain some performance.
                    Mostly done on aircooled and very high-performance bikes.

It is still done in high-performance cars, where it can lower the underhood temps quite a bit.

For more or less standard bikes i would guess it will not gain that much,
                    but people do it more to create the classic racer look or just to stand out.

Plenty of info on that on the web, it's a much discussed subject.
                    For instance https://exhaustsystemsguide.com/exhaust-wrap/
                    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

When You get your new header. Give it a light sanding, and shoot it with Flameproof Header Paint. It is really good stuff. 2+ coats and don't worry about it for a couple years. It is very easy to remove the header, and repaint them every couple few years. If you start to discolor them because of excessive heat, you are likely running too lean...
                      '83 GS 1100T
                      The Jet

sigpic
                      '95 GSXR 750w
                      The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

FWIW
                        I bought a 82 1100 that had been sitting outside for a while, the V&H header was in ugly shape. Gave it a couple coats of header paint and wrapped it with titanium color header wrap. Looks 100x better. All the headers I’ve installed on cars over the years have always gotten wrapped, moves the heat out from under the hood. I’ve never seen or heard of anyone having a performance issue after wrapping.
                        I purchased a 80 1000E this summer and put on a new V$H 4-1 chrome header. Chrome has gotten pretty weak. In a year or two I’ll probably be wrapping it.
                        2016 Ducati 1299s
                        1989 BMW K100RS
                        1982 GS1100E-current build
                        1980 GS1000E-sold
                        1982 GS1100L-sold
                        1982 CX500-sold

Comment

Working...
                        X